Home Open Account Help 242 users online

Passenger Trains > Anyone recognize this passenger car???

Date: 11/03/19 16:59
Anyone recognize this passenger car???
Author: RFandPFan

Going through some older videos, I caught this passenger car in Philly back in 1994.  The only markings I could see is the number 100.  Does anyone know the heritage and if it is still around?  Thanks. 

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 11/03/19 17:17
Re: Anyone recognize this passenger car???
Author: PCCRNSEngr

Looks to me that it became the LA&L 100 Traveler which has just been trucked back to Arkansas.

Date: 11/03/19 17:22
Author: boejoe

Older videos, indeed.  25 yrs ago.  I remember Belmont Jct very well in Reading Co days.  Lots of flat switching done there for interchange with PRR.  The 100 looks like it could have been a rider car for the high and wide loads - LOL.  Thanks for the memories.

Date: 11/03/19 18:13

PCCRNSEngr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks to me that it became the LA&L 100 Traveler
> which has just been trucked back to Arkansas.

It sure does, thanks.  Looks like they changed the window arrangement though.

Date: 11/03/19 18:49

If this info I found is correct, this car has an interesting history...

Built circa 1884 (wooden construction) as Bangor & Aroostock Railway offical car #200.
Acquired 1913 by the Intercolonial Railway--named Winnipeg
Renumbered Canadian Government Railways #30 in May 1918.
Renumbered Canadian National Railways #102 (Jan 1921), #85 (Oct 1922), and #65 (Apr 1924).
CNR Class PV-68/PV-69, rebuilt Nov.1929-May 1930 with steel fish belly underframe(truss rods), steel sheathing and new interior.
Modernized by CNR in 1963.
Retired by CNR Feb.1976, and sold to Robert Bennatts of Peck MI.
Acquired 1988 by the A&M RR, renumbered #100, named Traveller.
Acquired May 1998 by the LA&L RR.

Date: 11/04/19 09:12
Author: ATSF3751

I'm surprised that a truss-rod equipped passenger car was even allowed on a class 1 mainline. It certainly would not be accepted for interchange. 

Date: 11/04/19 14:11
Author: Topfuel

ATSF3751 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm surprised that a truss-rod equipped passenger
> car was even allowed on a class 1 mainline. It
> certainly would not be accepted for interchange. 

It has a steel underframe that was added per the car history noted above, plus it has roller bearings.  Not sure why the truss rods were retained.  Interchange would be at the discretion of the railroads involved.  In the case of the recent move to the A&M RR, NS declined to move it on it's own wheels, so it was moved on somebody else's wheels via flat car from NY to AR.

Date: 11/08/19 07:19
Author: Alco251

My wife and I rode this car when it was the pride and joy of then-A&M President Tony Hannold. We had it attached to the railway's southbound freight train for a turn to Van Buren, Arkansas when the A&M operated their south end in daylight. Tony rebuilt and reconfigured much of the interior himself, removing a couple of the staterooms to expand the car's day-use lounge capacity. He carefully dismatled the wood-paneled walls and re-used the material to cover the holes, and unless you heard his story about how he did it, a first-time passenger wouldn't know that the floor plan had been altered...the workmanship was exceptional. Perhaps my best memory of the trip was early-on, southbound, when my wife asked Tony "...how much does it cost to own a car like this?" Tony, whose Rhode Island accent made him occasinally sound like Thurston Howell, III, answered "...trust me, it's much cheaper to buy the railroad first."

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0452 seconds