Home Open Account Help 264 users online

Passenger Trains > LAUS Question

Date: 11/18/19 19:09
LAUS Question
Author: D0wnt1me

I'm planning on riding metrolink down to Los Angeles Union Station to film the afternoon commuter rush one evening. Does anyone know how secuirty will react to a tripod on the platform? It varies from every station, some guards are exteremly friendly and like talking to you, others will give you some bulls**t about needing filming permission from metrolink to bring camera eqipment onto their platforms. FYI I will have a valid ticket as I'm riding there. 

Thanks in advance.

-d.

Date: 11/18/19 20:39
Re: LAUS Question
Author: Alco251

Never had a problem at LAUS. In fact, last time I went there to do some railfan shooting (stills), I took the train...a round trip was cheaper than parking my car and I had a ticket to allow me on the platform. Most of what I shot was at the very north end of the public area and I don't think any security people even saw me.

The tripod might be an issue. Some places around LA assume "commercial photography" when they see a tripod and demand a filming permit, thinking you are shooting for a low-budget commercial, student film or something like that. Other places see tripods as a tripping hazard to the public. Wouldn't hurt to call them in advance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/19 20:42 by Alco251.

Date: 11/18/19 20:42
Author: erielackawanna

I think you'll be fine on the platforms (but have a valid Metrolink ticket with you, just in case). The tripod, I supsect, is going to be problematic. I've seen people with tripods there, but they basically seem to move around a lot, setting up for a shot just before they need. Maybe try that? Standing in one place with a tripod, I suspect, will get you attention you do not want.

Date: 11/18/19 20:46

Yes the tripod I do suspect to be problematic, and I'll likely contact Metrolink. Stupid question, but any clue how hard it is to obtain a filming license from metrolink?

Date: 11/18/19 21:00

They only issue them for commercial reasons (and that would cost you a lot of money).

Date: 11/18/19 21:10

Well thats not surprising, I guess I'll just hope for the best on this one. Like I stated in the original post; it really depends on what kind of sec. guard sees you- some are nice, some don't care, some just want to make your day a bit worse. 

Date: 11/18/19 21:11

If you have a monopod that would likely be easier to move around with without drawing attention.

Of course, not steady enough for video, but passable.

Date: 11/18/19 21:14

I like to keep my videos to a standard, as someone who cant hold a camera still to save their life a tripod is a nessecity lol. I would imagine at the commuter rush security would have greater worries on their hands. 

Date: 11/18/19 21:29
Author: asheldrake

As a Docent at the Oregon Rail Heritage Center......a tripod in a high traffic area is a safety hazard and I would ask that it be moved....a tripod out of the ttraffic pattern is not a safety problem.  Arlen

Date: 11/18/19 21:33

No I would never place a tripod in others’ way. And anyone who does should be asked to relocate. Plus, who would want others in their shot ;)

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/18/19 22:03
Author: PHall

If you're out on the platforms with a tripod you will be approached by security. No doubt about it.

Date: 11/19/19 00:03
Author: pdt

PHall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you're out on the platforms with a tripod you
> will be approached by security. No doubt about it.

i would agree. A crew member will call you in to security sooner or later, even if security doesnt see you themselves.  There are always some crew who dont like railfans.

LAUS is the busiest RR terminal west of Chicago, and still seen as a target by security.  Yea, I know, you are just shooting some film., but they cant tell the difference between a railfan and a terrorist.    There use to be areas out by mission tower where u could shoot...and its a much better location than  the terminal tracks..   Or maybe theres a public area u can shoot from along the curve between the station an mission tower...  IDK....but good luck...

Date: 11/19/19 07:51
Author: ExSPCondr

pdt Wrote:
> PHall Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
   There use to be areas out by
> mission tower where u could shoot...and its a much
> better location than  the terminal tracks..  
> Or maybe theres a public area u can shoot from
> along the curve between the station an mission
> tower...  IDK....but good luck...

I wouldn't go anywhere near Mission Tower, especially with a camera and tripod, due to concern for your personal safety!

The street that ends at the tracks on the North side of Mission Tower goes by a large housing project, and ends in a very dangerous area with no parking.  You would have to trespass from there to get to a suitable location.
G

Date: 11/19/19 07:56
Author: JohnM

I've never had a issue on the platform with a camera, and like Dave, I came and left on Metrolink.   Now for the tripod?  I would probably would ask, because unless you are all the way at the northend, its really not a good place for it.  

Date: 11/19/19 08:16

I will not be going anywhere near Mission Tower for my personal safety. And will be setting up with my tripod on the northernmost end of the longest platform, far out of peoples walking path.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/19/19 08:17
Author: walstib

Set up a tripod on Union Station property without a permit and you can expect a problem. 

That's what happened to me a couple of years back while I was waiting to depart on the Sunset Limited one Friday night.

I was in front of the station setting up for a time exposure when a guard approached and asked if I had a permit. He said I needed a permit to use a tripod on Union Statrion property. I did not have one. After a minute of back-and-forth, I finally asked "well, how do I get a permit."

The guard told me to to wait there, he would be right back. He returned with a clipboard and a form for me to fill out. That was my permit -- basically an agreement that my photography wasn't for commercial purposes, along with a bunch of other legalese. Sign on the X, and I could use a tripod. That was it.

I wasn't planning on using a tripod anywhere other than in front of the station, but since I was suddenly legal, I roamed around the grounds for a while with my tripod taking other shots. 

I'm sure the situation was made easier because I didn't cop an attitude or argue with the guard when he first approached -- it was all very civil and polite.

Date: 11/19/19 10:12
Author: Alco251

walstib Wrote:
> Set up a tripod on Union Station property without
> a permit and you can expect a problem. 
>

And don't think this is a problem unique to railfans and train stations. Try setting up a tripod in various areas of Washington, DC without a "tripod permit" and see what happens.

In the case of LAUS, I understand it's less a security problem and more of a revenue issue (and liability). Income derived from commercial shoots on Union Station property is substantial...everything from movies, television shows, TV commercials, model shoots, wedding photography, student films, etc. Permit fees are based on the scope of the project and yes, even low-budget filmmakers get a break on fees as long as they play by the rules. Security guards at many LA venues are always watching for "guerilla filmmakers" who attempt to shoot commercial material using "bonzai" methoods, showing up, working fast and beating feet if they get caught.

Show up with a camera and tripod, unannounced, at the Los Angeles Public Library grounds downtown, or across the street at the Library Tower (where the guards are particularly aggressive) and see what kind of reception you get. One city south of downtown--Huntington Park, if I recall correctly, even has signs posted in the park-like area surrounding city hall that prohibit commercial photography (weddings) without a permit.

Date: 11/19/19 14:44
Author: BastaTim

I was at LAUS last month and had my camera on a monopod, the rent a cops were on me real quick to tell me I needed a permit to use my monopod.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0567 seconds