Home Open Account Help 383 users online

Passenger Trains > Talgo Move Today Behind Amtrak 172 and 12

Date: 12/06/19 12:39
Talgo Move Today Behind Amtrak 172 and 12
Author: 79mph

On the way to Chicago this afternoon. See the thread below from December 4 for more info on this move.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/19 12:47 by 79mph.

Date: 12/06/19 12:46
Re: Talgo Move Today Behind Amtrak 172 and 12
Author: regalstream1516

Neat, thank you.  Where were these photos made?

Date: 12/06/19 14:54
Author: thehighwayman

Mater being towed???

Will MacKenzie
Dundas, ON

Date: 12/06/19 15:41
Author: PHall

thehighwayman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mater being towed???
>
>  

Mater is always being towed or pushed since Mater has no traction motors.

Date: 12/06/19 15:42
Author: icancmp193

PHall Wrote:
> thehighwayman Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Mater being towed???
> >
> >  
>
> Mater is always being towed or pushed since Mater
> has no traction motors.

I think you missed the irony here.....

Date: 12/06/19 16:15
Author: AmHog

Looks like the pictures were taken at Monon, Indiana

Date: 12/07/19 08:26
Author: Jsporseen

I POSTED THIS IN SEPTEMBER AND THE BASIC INFO IN IT WAS GIVEN TO ME BY AN ACQUAINTANCE AT THE OREGON DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION 
 There are negotiations going on right now between various parties, including WSDOT, to bring the two Wisconsin Series-8 trainsets West.  Modifications will have to be made of course.  This will allow two Series-8 owned by Oregon, two Series-8 under Washington control and Series-6 owned by Amtrak, to operate.  

There is another possibility.  In the Wisconsin order, there was an extra cab car produced.  Using that cab car would allow a fifth Series-8 train.  Cars would be removed from the other four which would allow five 10- and 11-car trains instead of four 13 car sets.  

The way I understand it these new trains could not be ready until spring of 2020.

Date: 12/07/19 08:58
Author: 79mph

AmHog Wrote:
> Looks like the pictures were taken at Monon,
> Indiana

That is correct.

Date: 12/09/19 14:49
Author: Jsporseen

Just got this message from my acquaintance at the Oregon Department of Transportation:

i didn't realize that besides a third cab car there were also two others extra cars, a bistro car and a coach.  I would think that with these extra cars, a reconfiguration could be done which would then make up five Series 8 trains.  This along with the four Series 6 trains would give a total of nine Talgo sets, more than enough to handle the two additional runs and the Point Defiance Bypass.

incidenally, I have ridden PDX to SEA and  PDX to EUG numerous and have never felt unsafe or worried about the crash worthiness of those trains.  My only concern would be if the engineer decided to take a 30mph Curve at 80mph which suspect with active PTC and proper training, will never happen again.

The two Wisconsin Series 8 Talgo trainsets and the spare cab car and two other spare cars (I think one coach and a Bistro car), all moved from Beech Grove, Indiana to Milwaukee, Wisconsin on Friday, December 6th, where Talgo has its maintenance and manufacturing facility.  This was the first step that is expected to result in modifications to these trains for service in the Cascades corridor next summer.  

As for the Talgo Series 6 trains, there are four in service, two owned by Amtrak and two owned by Washington state.  Amtrak’s trains are named Mt. Hood and Mt. Olympus; WSDOT’s trains are named Mt. Baker and Mt. Rainier.  Oregon’s two Series 8 trains are named Mt. Jefferson and Mt. Bachelor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/19 07:34 by Jsporseen.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.2103 seconds