Home Open Account Help 204 users online

Passenger Trains > Sleeping Room Assignments on the Canadian

Date: 01/02/20 14:53
Sleeping Room Assignments on the Canadian
Author: swirsk53

i am contemplating a one night journey on the Canadian from Vancouver to Jasper in April, possibly in Prestiege class.  Can anyone offer recommendations on particular rooms to seek out and advice as to how to request a particular room?  Are all of the Prestiege compartments the same? pros and cons associated with being in the Park car vs a full sleeper? Thanks in advance. 

Date: 01/02/20 15:04
Re: Sleeping Room Assignments on the Canadian
Author: WP17

I believe the 6 bedrooms in the full sleeper are identical so I would choose one of rooms in the middle of the car. I expect but don't know for that the regular bedroom in the Park Car is the same as well.
In terms of selecting a specific room, call the VIA res center and the agent will be more than glad to ensure you get the room you want assuming it is available.
Personally I don't think the Prestige rooms are worth the extra especially if you can get a regular sleeper plus room on sale.

WP17

Date: 01/02/20 17:00
Author: viatrainrider

I would request room F in Sleeper Plus.  This room slightly larger as it was sold as a compartment in CP days.  Believe the room in the now Prestige Park car to be a handicap room and another for attendant. Don't  recall is there is a regular Prestige room there.

I can;t afford Prestige but that is fine as I think the main attraction for Prestige is the wonderful room with shower.  However, I spend very little time in my room during the day as I am either in the diner or the Park dome.  Of course if you want the very best VIA offers and plan to stay mostly in your room, Prestige may be for you.  I have been aware of Prestige passengers who rarely used the dome.  But that  is not me, for sure.

As far as location on the train, I not been able to get an accurate answer on car number locations.  VIA tells me, for example, that the 15 car is closer to the diner;  others whose views I trust tell me the 15 car is way forward meaning perhaps a nine car walk to the Park!!!

In any event, enjoy your trip on the best regularly scheduled passenger train in North America.

Date: 01/02/20 17:43
Author: Streamliner

Prestige is SO over rated and not worth the money.  Take a look here:  https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g155025-d2230208-r583741263-VIA_Rail_Canada-Quebec.html

Date: 01/02/20 17:58
Author: 4489

Streamliner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Prestige is SO over rated and not worth the money.
>  Take a look here:
>  https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g155
> 025-d2230208-r583741263-VIA_Rail_Canada-Quebec.htm
> l

It NEVER ends.  SIGH!!!

Date: 01/02/20 18:10
Author: jp1822

Vancouver to Jasper you can't get a Prestige Sleeper. Would have to be at least to Edmonton I believe - from Vancouver. 

Bedroom F in the Manor Series Sleepers is the hidden jewel!

Date: 01/03/20 03:09
Author: andersonb109

Being the last car, the Park car gets a bit of a "whip" at speed as there is no car behind it to hold in place. That said, it never bothered me when I used to book Bedroom B in that car before they were re-designed for Prestige class. Also, pay no attention to loser Streamlines review.  He is just a sad unhappy person.  While personally I don't see the need to pay for Prestige class, if you can justify the cost, go for it. It looks nice and the private shower is a bonus although probably not needed on a one night trip. Do however be prepared to be significantly late and be pleasantly surprised if  on time. That said, Vancouver to Jasper shouldn't be a problem unless you get out of the gate due to really late arriving equipment from the day prior.

Date: 01/04/20 09:08
Author: DrawingroomA

As indicated in a posting above all Prestige rooms are identical. I have not travelled in Prestige but I did travel with friends who did and I spent a lot of time visiting them. They had the one Prestige room in the Park car. It is "B". "A" is the accessible suite which is near the front of the Park car. "B" occupies the space which was formerly drawing room "A" and double bedroom "B". There is a cupboard between the lounge and the back wall of "B" which provides a good buffer. My friends said they never heard any noise from the bar area.

I recommend you do not accept room "A" in the Prestige Chateau sleeper. It is partly over the wheels and it rides poorly. One of the concierges I know well admitted this to me. Room "F" is at the opposite end and is a little further back from a wheel and does not get the complaints that "A" does. Obviously the centre rooms are the best as on any train car.

The meals served to those in Prestige are the same as other sleeper passengers have. You get your choice of sitting, which is not normally a problem for any sleeper passenger in off-season. At dinner there is an extra appetiser course served to those in Prestige who are called to the diner 15 minutes before the rest. My friends didn't like any of those appetisers but kept them on the table so when those of us from the cheap seats were called to dinner we could help them out. I found the appetisers to be very tasty.

Regarding the Prestige rooms, the "double bed" is not a regular double bed, but somewhat smaller. The crew admitted this when I first saw one. Also, there is little luggage storage space. It is a lovely room, however. A nice touch is the heated floor in the toilet/shower room.

You will notice there is a $500 pp cancellation or exchange fee. This is unique for full-fare tickets.

Date: 01/06/20 18:07
Author: cabanillas

4 of us (my Mom and sister, my wife and myself) rode the Canadian in Prestige from Toronto to Vancouver in October of 18.  Mom and sis in the Chateau, wife and I in room B in the Park car.  No noise problems for us.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0671 seconds