Home Open Account Help 311 users online

Passenger Trains > Meeting of the Oceans, Amherst, Nova Scotia

Date: 01/16/20 13:44
Meeting of the Oceans, Amherst, Nova Scotia
Author: cn6218

While looking for something else, I came across this series of photos in my archive.  It's October 8, 2007 and VIA 14 (on left) and 15 still ran 6 days a week.  The meet was usually somewhere east of here, but I'm guessing that 14 was late for some reason, moving it to Amherst, NS this particular day.  The operation is complicated by the fact that this is also a station stop, and there may be passengers to get on and off from both trains.  As 15 goes past in the siding, 14 will stop, do their work, and then proceed east.  Meanwhile 15 will go out the west end of the siding and then back up to the station once 14 has cleared the east end.  

The next siding to the west is Evans, 16 miles away, so holding 14 there would have added at least half an hour to their lateness.  If 15 had been 5 or 10 minutes earlier, they probably would have done the station stop first, backed in at the west end to wait for 14, and then proceeded on their way.

GTD

Date: 01/17/20 07:18
Re: Meeting of the Oceans, Amherst, Nova Scotia
Author: texchief1

Nice shots!

Randy Lundgren
Elgin, TX

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/20 07:18 by texchief1.

Date: 01/17/20 19:11
Re: Meeting of the Oceans, Amherst, Nova Scotia
Author: AndyBrown

I'm sure those hardy Canadians would've survived boarding and detraining from the siding!

Andy

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0387 seconds