Home Open Account Help 324 users online

Passenger Trains > #30 Capitol Delayed Departure

Date: 01/21/20 16:51
#30 Capitol Delayed Departure
Author: mp16

Currently estimated to depart 90 mins. late at 8:10 pm.

Date: 01/21/20 19:00
Re: #30 Capitol Delayed Departure

Revised departure time now 2.5 hrs. late at 9:10 pm.

Date: 01/21/20 19:27

New estimated departure time is 9:50 pm (3 hrs., 10 mins. late). 48 apparently will leave on time at 9:30 pm.

Date: 01/21/20 19:38

#48 departed CHI on time at 9:30 pm.

Date: 01/21/20 20:17
Author: casco17

Any reason cited for the delayed departure?

Date: 01/21/20 21:51
Author: sethamtrak

I heard it was a bad ordered Superliner. Departed Chicago at 10:11pm, 1 and 1/2 down. This train serves Washington, so you know Anderson is going to seek answers on this one. Also, I have been told there is a lack of spare equipment in Chicago in general. As well as a lack of functioning P42/P40 locomotives. Maybe the 500's will appear on the road soon (wishful thinking). 

Also, management should look into this particular delay. 29 arrived ON-TIME into Chicago for a change. But somehow a 10 hour layover was not enough time to get the train into sound mechanical condition. So either the train was inspected at the zero hour and a bad order was found, or they inspected it earlier in the day and just could not source a spare superliner? Either way, unacceptable for a train with a 10 hour scheduled layover in Chicago to leave Chicago over 3 hours late. 

Seth- 

Date: 01/22/20 02:30
Author: jp1822

sethamtrak Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I heard it was a bad ordered Superliner. Departed
> Chicago at 10:11pm, 1 and 1/2 down. This train
> serves Washington, so you know Anderson is going
> to seek answers on this one. Also, I have been
> told there is a lack of spare equipment in Chicago
> in general. As well as a lack of functioning
> P42/P40 locomotives. Maybe the 500's will appear
> on the road soon (wishful thinking). 
>
> Also, management should look into this particular
> delay. 29 arrived ON-TIME into Chicago for a
> change. But somehow a 10 hour layover was not
> enough time to get the train into sound mechanical
> condition. So either the train was inspected at
> the zero hour and a bad order was found, or they
> inspected it earlier in the day and just could not
> source a spare superliner? Either way,
> unacceptable for a train with a 10 hour scheduled
> layover in Chicago to leave Chicago over 3 hours
> late. 
>
> Seth- 

Chicago is short of equipment? How and why? 

- Empire Builder - one sleeper and one coach taken off EACH of its five train sets.....Capitol Limited - one sleeper taken off EACH of its three train sets.....Southwest Chief - one coach taken off each of its five train sets......shall I go on? 
- Nearly EACH of the Superliner long distance trains has had its consists reduced for the winter. And don't tell me its all sitting in Beech Grove awaiting repairs or some other silly story........

Frankly, Amtrak should be able to have an extra long distance train set in Chicago almost on standy as a reserve set with amount of equipment that was reduced from service this winter. 

Moreover, as Seth mentions, this train has a scheduled 10 hour layover. Chicago has been releasing LD train sets pretty early from the yards to have them brought into the station and loading begun. However, I've boarded early as a sleeping car passenger, only to have the crew come on the PA system and mention to the other onboard staff or conductors that they needed pillow cases, seat check tickets, garbage bags, or final commissary delivery to the lounge car........... One would think this would have been loaded while the train was still in the Chicago Yard........

Date: 01/22/20 02:37

No connection possible to Pennsylvanian as ETAPGH is 8:56 AM instead of 5:05  AM. ETA DC around 4 pm.

Date: 01/22/20 17:42
Author: ProAmtrak

Guys, it's the usual laziness of 14TH St. They could care less on properly servicing the trains, had that experience on 30 back in 17!

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0525 seconds