Home Open Account Help 202 users online

Passenger Trains > Replacement Freight Locomotive

Date: 02/08/20 19:43
Replacement Freight Locomotive
Author: bnsfrr805

Can anyone out there explain to me why when Amtrak has a problem (Mechanical or due to Wreck) and it needs a new locomotive to continue there trip, why do the keep that power unit until they get back to there home base.  Example, this week AMTK 169 was power for 21, around Hope, Ark. it struck some debris on the track and they need a new power unit.  They picked up UP 8125 from Little Rock or Texarkana not sure, and continued south.  This train stopped in Ft Worth were I know they have spare locomotive besides what they use for the Heartland Flyer.  Continued to San Antonio, where there also was 2 spare units.  On the next day north bound Texas Eagle # 22 it had same consist as it did the day before (AMTK 169 (trailing) & UP 8125 (leading), next day I watched 22 get turned after unloading and still had same power.  Why did the not swap out power, I have seen this on other trains also.  Can anyone tell me why they did not turn UP loco in and pick up AMTK loco??

Steve White
Carthage, TX

Date: 02/08/20 20:34
Re: Replacement Freight Locomotive
Author: SN711

From what I’ve heard it’s cheaper if they return the borrowed freight locomotive to the location they got it from. Probably also depends upon if the spare Amtrak locomotives were not going to be needed right away or not for something else and how much more time would be lost switching the locomotives out enroute.

Gary

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/08/20 21:15
Author: cajon

I have never seen any spare Amtrak engines in San Antonio. They keep a spare sleeper and coach in San Antonio.
Dennis

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/08/20 22:11
Author: The-late-EMD

To add to that, they not only have to return the borrowed freight motor back to the same location they pick it up from but the unit must have the same amount of fuel when amtrak got it. U.p. use to demand amtrak top off the tank but a freight have 5000 galleon tanks and p42 tanks only hold 2200 gallions, so amtrak renegotiated that agreement. Also U.P. use to charge $12,000.00 a day for use of their motors but I think that's been renegotiated too.

Posted from Android

Date: 02/09/20 05:08
Author: joemvcnj

The-late-EMD Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> To add to that, they not only have to return the
> borrowed freight motor back to the same location
> they pick it up from but the unit must have the
> same amount of fuel when amtrak got it. U.p. use
> to demand amtrak top off the tank but a freight
> have 5000 galleon tanks and p42 tanks only hold
> 2200 gallions, so amtrak renegotiated that
> agreement. Also U.P. use to charge $12,000.00 a
> day for use of their motors but I think that's
> been renegotiated too.
>
> Posted from Android

When returning such a freight unit, is it hauled off-line so the train can exceed 70 or 75 MPH ? 

Date: 02/09/20 11:25
Author: The-late-EMD

Freight motors top speed Is 70mph. Although some model GE A.C.'s tops out at 75mph. When we had a freight leader we was limited to 70mph. Amtrak tops out at 79mph so we would lose a little time on the advertise.

Posted from Android

Date: 02/09/20 11:50
Author: ts1457

joemvcnj Wrote:
> When returning such a freight unit, is it hauled
> off-line so the train can exceed 70 or 75 MPH ? 

I think the speed limit is the same whether the unit is online, idling, or dead in consist. If anyone knows differently, I'd like to know.

Back in the early 1990s when I was working as a power distributor at a major railroad, I do not recall Amtrak being required to return the unit to the spot where it was commandeered. We were happy just to get our unit back. Differences in fuel levels can add up to big bucks, though. so a lending railroad needs to be careful with that.

Date: 02/09/20 11:57
Author: HotWater

ts1457 Wrote:
> joemvcnj Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > When returning such a freight unit, is it
> hauled
> > off-line so the train can exceed 70 or 75 MPH
> ? 
>
> I think the speed limit is the same whether the
> unit is online, idling, or dead in consist. If
> anyone knows differently, I'd like to know.

Absolutely correct. Max speed of DC traction units is limited by the rotational speed of the armature,so as NOT to damage the commutator bars. AC traction motors don't care.

> Back in the early 1990s when I was working as a
> power distributor at a major railroad, I do not
> recall Amtrak being required to return the unit to
> the spot where it was commandeered. We were happy
> just to get our unit back. Differences in fuel
> levels can add up to big bucks, though. so a
> lending railroad needs to be careful with that.

Date: 02/09/20 13:10
Author: dan

it seems the the GE units that can go 75  are held to 70 for protection, to prevent errors

even running solo

Date: 02/10/20 09:17
Author: RGTower

The-late-EMD Wrote:
>Also U.P. use to charge $12,000.00 a
> day for use of their motors but I think that's
> been renegotiated too.
>
> Posted from Android

$12,000 per day sounds steep.

Most long-term locomotive leases cost a quarter of that per day.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0504 seconds