Home Open Account Help 322 users online

Passenger Trains > NJ DOT starts work on River Road Bridge over RVL

Date: 02/19/20 14:33
NJ DOT starts work on River Road Bridge over RVL
Author: Pattenburg

NJDOT has started work on replacing the wooden River Road Bridge in North Branch (NJ) with a new wider single-span bridge that will span NJT’s Raritan Valley Line. The new bridge will have two ten foot wide travel lanes. Midatlantic Construction is the contractor for this $4.3 million state-funded project that is estimated will take five to six months. This new bridge should be opened by June or July. Seen here site preparation was underway on February 19 as NJT's train 5176 passes beneath where the old bridge once crossed. It was closed back in June, 2019 due to its severely deteriorated condition.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/20 14:33 by Pattenburg.

Date: 02/19/20 14:45
Re: NJ DOT starts work on River Road Bridge over RVL
Author: Lackawanna484

Thanks for keeping track of this.  The old bridge had an awkward T intersection on the west end, I hope they can open that up a bit.

Date: 02/19/20 20:59
Author: railstiesballast

Two 10-ft lanes seems like a design standard out of hte 1930s.

Date: 02/20/20 02:17
Author: joemvcnj

Still a major step up from what was there.

Posted from Android

Date: 02/20/20 12:27
Author: choodude

IMHO a total waste of $4.3 Million.

Just look at the satellite map of the area.  There are other bridges close by that have roads leading to the same neighborhood.  Highways are sacred.  Passenger Transit is an abomination.

Brian

Date: 02/22/20 09:38
Author: JoeKayer

Unless you live in this neigborhood, and I have family who live on the affected road and are  inconvenienced due to the road closure, then I would prefer you not to make stupid comments about getting around, The detour takes approx 1 mile thru another neighborhood that feels the affects of the increased traffic..

Date: 02/22/20 09:56
Author: choodude

JoeKayer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Unless you live in this neigborhood, and I have
> family who live on the affected road and are 
> inconvenienced due to the road closure, then I
> would prefer you not to make stupid comments about
> getting around, The detour takes approx 1 mile
> thru another neighborhood that feels the affects
> of the increased traffic..

The State of New Jersey gas tax is $ 0.484 per gallon.  How long will it take for that neighborhood to buy ~ 8.9 million gallons of fuel? 

That's just to cover the bridge.  How about the rest of the roads they use?  Am I stupid for wanting roads to be paid for by the folks that use them?

Brian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/20 10:35 by choodude.

Date: 02/23/20 12:19
Author: JoeKayer

Yes. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0651 seconds