Home Open Account Help 199 users online

Passenger Trains > Acela Utilization?

Date: 03/13/01 13:44
Acela Utilization?
Author: Lackawanna484

Anybody know what Amtrak's plans are for making more use of each Acela Express car set? Currently, the trains are used for just one round trip daily, but with some tweaking, they could get that up to two round trips, or as many as 3 1/2 in NY to Boston captive service.

Date: 03/13/01 17:01
RE: Acela Utilization?
Author: DHarrison

I thought effective March 05, 2001, that three trainsets are now running. One on the full round trip--Boston-Washington; one NYC to Washington and the third Boston to NYC.I do have another question...Do the trainsets get turned or is the End Business/or First Class car always in the same direction. Which direction?David Harrisonhttp://community.webtv.net/acelatrains

Date: 03/13/01 17:06
Author: capasc

I would imagine that they are being careful with the early sets. One round trip per day per trainset would allow Amtrak to give Acela a proper shakedown, work out the bugs, and not have to worry about a minor problem creating a cancellation. Eventually (likely sooner rather than later) they will have to run two or three round trips daily to justify the investment and generate some income with the equipment.

Date: 03/13/01 19:55
Author: TexasBill

Giving an early response to David Harrison's question...

I assume that because there is power at each end of the Acela Express trainset, it operates push-pull, i.e., there is no turning of the trainset at the terminals.

Bill in Texas

Date: 03/14/01 04:00
Author: CharlieA.

Keep in mind that Amtrak currently has 4 FRA Certified Acela trainsets available for operation... these include sets #5, 6, 7 and 8. Sets #1 & 2 have been utilized for ongoing test/evaluation exercises and are likely to be the last in revenue service. There are two or three other sets currently undergoing Amtrak acceptance and FRA certification. Testing and certification is based out of Penn Coach Yard in Philadelphia.

Keep in mind that Bombardier/Alstom will be providing ongoing maintenance, inspection and repair service for many years to come. They will provide "key" personnel with back-up from trained "Amtrakers".

With the introduction of the 1st Revenue service in December 2000, two trainsets were available... one for operation, the other protect. Primary service was based at the new Ivy City - Washington, DC, HST Maintenance shop. Turn around service was initially performed at Boston to familiarize personnel with "routine" maintenance of the sets. The new Southampton, MA facility does this work. With the latest March 5th 2001 schedule, one set is based at Southampton which increases the scope of work accomplished there... The third and last new facility is located at Sunnyside Yard, NY. The latest schedule l puts Sunnyside in the same position as Southampton in December, but, handling two trainsets per week day in "turn around" service. As additional sets are introduced responsibilites at each of the three new service centers will be "ramped up". The "back-up/protect" trainset is based at Ivy City. As the fleet increases "back-ups" are likely to be deployed at each cite. It's all very logical and prudent.

Typically, Amtrak likes to have its 1st Class coaches closest to each originating terminals boarding gates... saving a bit of a walk for premium passengers. That means that the trains are either "wyed" - Boston and DC, or sent around the Sunnyside "loop". This practice... which has been around for as long as I can remember, is likely to continue.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0474 seconds