Home Open Account Help 199 users online

Passenger Trains > Wilderness Express Car at LAUPT today

Date: 03/13/01 20:29
Wilderness Express Car at LAUPT today
Author: sal

I believe the car will also be on display tomorrow, Wednesday 3/14/01 at LAUPT.

Photo taken with my Fuji MX1200 digital camera

Sal Garcia

Date: 03/13/01 20:30
RE: Another view

This car is very tall!

Date: 03/13/01 20:31
RE: Another view

Compare the height to PV Overland Trail it was coupled with.

Date: 03/13/01 20:38
RE: Wilderness Express Car at LAUPT today
Author: GP25

That car looks great. To bad Amtrak never had any of these cars. Are these Ex-(Bi Level)Gallery Cars or a new Design? I also guess is a Princess Cruise Line car for Alaska Summer Run Sal?

GP25

Date: 03/13/01 20:54
Author: AK

Hi there,

That is a Celebrity Cruises car for Alaska.

R.K.

Date: 03/13/01 22:14
Author: mtararat

Can I have it for my backyard Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease????:0)

Date: 03/14/01 08:35
Author: INRD_2000

These cars may look nice now but they wont last. The idiots built them with the same core ten steel most of the PULLMAN cars have. And you see what most of those look like now!!!!!!!!!!

Stainless Steel should be a bare minimum in any pax car.

Date: 03/14/01 09:23
Author: djansson

Corten steel will last a long time as long as you keep water out of it. The problem with P/S cars was not so much what they were built out of, but the way they were built with seams open to moisture. There are a LOT of old Corten cars on the road today that have been rebuilt, and they'll be on the rails for a long time to come. The "Overland Trail" PV next to this car is a good example of this.

Date: 03/14/01 13:47
Author: kneemeister

AK wrote:
>
> Hi there,
>
> That is a Celebrity Cruises car for Alaska.
>
> R.K.

Is that why it has a Royal Caribian Cruises logo? jk.

Dave K

Date: 03/14/01 14:46

Hi there,

That sure is a Royal sign on the car. I'll have to see if Royal and Celebrity are the same company. They both have ships coming up to Alaska and are sharing some services up here. In the thread from 2-26-01 on the Western Board, it was 2 Royal Celebrity cars touring west.

R.K.

Date: 03/14/01 14:49

Hi there,

On the thread from down below, Cruise Car Tour in San Jose, he says it has both Royal and Celebrity logos on it.

R.K.

Date: 03/14/01 15:01

From RoyalCaribbean.com Royal and Celebrity are the same company

Royal Celebrity Tours Takes Delivery Of World's Largest Glass-Domed Rail Cars

Royal Celebrity Tours Launches Six-City Whistle Stop Tour

Miami – February 28, 2001 – Royal Celebrity Tours has taken possession of the world’s largest and most accessible domed rail cars in the world, at Colorado Railcar Manufacturing, LLC, the Denver-based builder of the custom rail cars.

The new rail cars, called Wilderness Express, are the first products launched by Royal Celebrity Tours, the land tour company created last year by Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., which owns Royal Caribbean International and Celebrity Cruises. The company will unveil the new rail cars during a six-city “Whistle Stop Tour” beginning today in Denver.

Date: 03/14/01 16:47
URL to above story
Author: PullmanPorter

Date: 03/14/01 18:15
RE: Worlds largest?
Author: TopcoatSmith

In comparison to the Princess Ultra-Domes that look pretty much the same (sans Bear on the side) or the Rocky Mountain Railtours Gold Leaf domes, all are built out of ex-SP gallery cars and all have had their roofs raised. Note also the new excursion/dinner train on the Sierra has an ex-gallery car or two as does Loram rail grinding in Canada(this one's a dorm car). Bob Steele and associates in Tillamook,OR did a bunch of cars including the dorm car and some for the long gone Oregon Coastline Express, which I think has moved to the Mt. Hood Railway with the ALCo C-415s.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0414 seconds