Home Open Account Help 312 users online

Passenger Trains > Todays 448 & 449 section missing its sleeper?

Date: 02/22/20 21:04
Todays 448 & 449 section missing its sleeper?
Author: gaspeamtrak

Does anybody have any info on this ?
Wonder what if they were able to accomodate the boston passengers in the New York from and to Albany?

Date: 02/23/20 06:24
Re: Todays 448 & 449 section missing its sleeper?
Author: JPB

Did not see a Boston bound sleeper on #48 this morning as it made its Elkhart station stop. This edition of #48 did have three P42s, though, including HU #145 in the middle. Don't know why there was no Boston sleeper but I have been checking on 48's departure from Elkhart frequently in the past month usually the Boston sleeper has almost all of the roomette lights on at 12:30AM suggesting to me there are very few Boston sleeper patrons. OTOH, The NYP-bound sleepers often have only some roomette lights on. Net: I'm guessing that few Massachusetts bound patrons are impacted by absence of the sleeper. 

Date: 02/23/20 06:57
Author: CP8888

Boston pax find ride behind power not fun.

Posted from Android

Date: 02/23/20 07:06
Author: march_hare

I just rode 48/448 from CHI to ALB a few days ago. Boston sleeper was almost empty. 

Date: 02/23/20 08:08
Author: DavidP

A couple of days ago I was looking on line at booking a cross country trip starting on 449 on Feb 29th.  Amtrak was showing one roomette left, and the when I checked back the next day, 449 was listed as “cancelled” on the 29th.  49 is still operating on that date.

Dave

Date: 02/23/20 17:26
Author: renf

I have a reservation on the 449 sleeper going west from Boston to Toledo on March 8.  I got an e-mail message today from Amtrak saying there has been a change in my travel plans but I should not worry because adjustments have been made,  Does this mean that a bus
is being substituted for #448 and #449 until further notice or something else?  I will call Amtrak tomorrow.  It is a puzzel why Mr.
Anderson cannot keep his trains on the card.  I know the Hoosac tunnel is now closed but it is suppose to reopen at the end of
Februrary.  I thought that Pan Am was not using the Boston and Albany as a substitute route.

Date: 02/23/20 20:32
Author: jp1822

You should call Amtrak to confirm, but I think they are bustituting. Maybe you'd be better off taking the train to NYC and then taking the Lake Shore out of NYC. A nice 11:05 am Acela Express gets into NYC at 2:46 pm. I am sure that train will cost a small fortune, let alone the connection out of NYP, but maybe some clever negotiation with an Amtrak agent would do the trick! Good luck!

Date: 02/24/20 01:50

Update on Amtrak #48-23 at Elkhart Station stop as witnessed on NYC RR Museum live cam on 02/24/20: #48 arrived about 15 minutes down at 12:39AM and then sat for 31 minutes as a someone on the ground with safety vest and flashlight walked the train inspecting the running gear of the two P42s spending a few minutes focused on the trailing truck on lead unit #87. Train departed 43 minutes late at 1:10AM. Eleven car consist included not only the Boston sleeper (with most roomette lights turned off!) but also two deadhead diners behind the baggage car at the rear. As of 4:43AM, #48, speeding along through northern Ohio at 77mph, has made up most of its lateness and should be arriving Elyria only 9 minutes down.

Date: 02/24/20 07:17
Author: toledopatch

renf Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know the Hoosac tunnel is now closed but it is
> suppose to reopen at the end of
> Februrary.  I thought that Pan Am was not using
> the Boston and Albany as a substitute route.

The Hoosac Tunnel problem should not affect Amtrak in any way.

Date: 02/24/20 11:33
Author: DavidP

Amtrak is now saying 448 is bustituted Fri - Sat, and 449 bustituted Sat - Sun, thru mid May.  Cause is MBTA track work.

Dave

Date: 02/24/20 17:37
Author: renf

If the cause is MBTA track work, Amtrak could run from Albany to Worcester and just use a bus from Boston South to Worcester.  Is this part of a plan
to terminate #448 and #499?   It is disappointing.

Date: 02/25/20 01:41

renf Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If the cause is MBTA track work, Amtrak could run
> from Albany to Worcester and just use a bus from
> Boston South to Worcester.  Is this part of a
> plan
> to terminate #448 and #499?   It is
> disappointing.

MBTA's Service Alert for the Worcester Line's upcoming spring weekend bustitution for PTC installation is posted below. BTW, we residents of Metro Boston who have to endure these inconvenient pain in the butt weekend outages on multiple commuter rail and transit are far more numerous than the patrons of 448/449 so I don't to hear any whining, especially as 448/449 bustitution is more likely to operate OT! FYI, here are links to the complete list of upcoming MBTA commuter rail/subway service across the entire network:
https://www.mbta.com/alerts/commuter-rail
https://www.mbta.com/alerts/subwayShuttle =0.875remUPCOMINGWeekends, Feb 29 through May, buses replace Worcester Line service between Back Bay and Framingham to connect with regular train service while PTC is installed. No service at Auburndale, W. Newton, Newtonville, Boston Landing, Lansdowne or South Station. Please visit https://www.mbta.com/WORwork for more details about bus shuttle schedules. Visit MBTA.com/PTC for more information on how this project will improve commuter rail safety and travel.
Shuttles are accessible but bicycles will not be allowed on board.
There will be no bus shuttle service to and from South Station. If you are travelling outbound, please use the red Line or the Silver Line to board a Worcester/Framingham shuttle at Back Bay. From Back Bay please board the Orange Line, the Franklin Line, the Needham Line (Saturday only) or the Providence Line for continued service inbound to South Station.

Bus shuttles will not serve Auburndale, West Newton, Newtonville, Boston Landing, Lansdowne stations, please consider the following alternatives:

-Auburndale:
Riverside Station on the Green Line
-West Newton:
Bus Route 553 (Saturday only)
-Newtonville:
Bus Route 59 (Saturday& Sunday), 553 (Saturday only)
-Boston Landing:
Bus route 57, 64, 66
-Lansdowne:
Kenmore or Fenway Station on the Green Line or Bus Routes 8, 57, 60 (Saturday & Sunday), 65 (Saturday only)
Regular train service will operate on March 14-15
Additional weekends may be added to the train service suspension as work progresses on the Worcester line.
Thank you for your patience while we improve the signal system on your Commuter Rail line.Updated: 1/30/2020 11:47A

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0883 seconds