Home Open Account Help 313 users online

Passenger Trains > City of New Orleans almost to NOL, hits car going around gates

Date: 02/26/20 16:39
City of New Orleans almost to NOL, hits car going around gates
Author: GenePoon

Woman injured after SUV hit by Amtrak train at Metairie railroad crossing: JPSO
 A woman was hospitalized after an Amtrak passenger train hit her vehicle as she tried to drive around the gates at a Metairie railroad crossing Wednesday afternoon, according to the Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office. 

The victim's injuries were not life-threatening, according to Capt. Jason Rivarde, spokesman for the office. 

The crash occurred just before 3 p.m. on Central Avenue near Heaslip Avenue.  The 49-year-old Metairie woman was driving a 2014 Chevrolet SUV and approached the tracks, which were blocked by the crossing gates, Rivarde said.  As the woman drove around the barrier, the train slammed into her vehicle. 

Rivarde had no information on whether the woman was driving north or south on Central. No one aboard the the train was injured, Rivarde said. The Sheriff's Office plans to issue the woman a citation for failure to yield, according to Rivarde. 

https://www.nola.com/news/crime_police/article_c974609a-58e1-11ea-95c9-e77972776768.html
==========================================

Southbound City of New Orleans, Train 59(25).  1 1/2 hour delay.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/20 16:40 by GenePoon.

Date: 02/26/20 20:10
Re: City of New Orleans almost to NOL, hits car going around gate
Author: jcaestecker

Sherriff's Office should have cited her for being a dumb$$ss.  Ya can't fix stupid, though.

-John

Date: 02/26/20 21:21
Author: PHall

Since she's being cited for failure to yield I'm willing to bet that her insurance company is going to find a way to not pay her claim.
Do stupid things, get stupid prizes.

Date: 02/26/20 23:12
Author: Greyhounds

PHall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Since she's being cited for failure to yield I'm
> willing to bet that her insurance company is going
> to find a way to not pay her claim.
> Do stupid things, get stupid prizes.

I'll take that bet.  Your insurance will cover your own stupidity.  (Unless she's got really bad insurance, or no insurance.)

If you're in an "At Fault" accident they pay.  

Date: 02/27/20 07:07
Author: GettingShort

It had to have been this lady,https://youtu.be/dFY-qfBxqng?t=45

Date: 02/27/20 09:08
Author: GenePoon

Greyhounds Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I'll take that bet.  Your insurance will cover
> your own stupidity.  (Unless she's got really bad
> insurance, or no insurance.)

=========================================

If "You only pay for what you need" and you decide you don't need collision coverage, NO...

Insurance will pay for liability but you have to pay for coverage to your own car.   However, for a 2014 SUV, if it was financed it is likely that a lender would have packaged sufficient insurance in the loan package to cover themselves, i.e, the value of the vehicle.

Date: 02/27/20 16:50
Author: BobB

The general rule in insurance of this sort is that the company pays for your liability to others if you're negligent but not if you intentionally cause the accident.  I doubt that she intentionally caused this accident; being stupid, even driving illegally, is usually a form of negligence.  Thus the insurance company will pay Amtrak's claims against her up to the limits of her policy.  Damage to her car or injury to herself is something else--that comes under collision coverage (for the car) and possibly medical payments (for herself).  It depends on whether she has those coverages.  However, she probably has general medical health coverage, through her employer, the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare), or something else, and it usually doesn't care how you got hurt.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0563 seconds