Home Open Account Help 368 users online

Passenger Trains > St Charles Air Line - Chicago

Date: 03/22/20 11:16
St Charles Air Line - Chicago
Author: justalurker66

Amtrak 393 rounds the tight curve over Clark St on the St Charles Air Line (March 8th).

As covered in previous threads, the Air Line is under reconstruction. New bridges are expected to be in place this summer and pending agreement with Metra, the Metra 16th St interlocking will be reconfigured to remove the tight curve and provide a quieter connection.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 03/22/20 11:18
Re: St Charles Air Line - Chicago

Before the Amtrak a CN train waits at 16th St, then moves west through the interlocking. A southbound Metra crosses after the freight.

Date: 03/22/20 11:21

Construction progress ...
Dearborn St, State St and Wabash Ave (March 8th)

Date: 03/22/20 11:24

Construction ...
The alley between Wabash Ave and Michigan Ave. The existing north side bridge has been raised and moved to the future alignment.
All bridge removal is complete at Michigan Ave.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/20 11:31 by justalurker66.

Date: 03/22/20 11:27

Back to 16th St. The north end of Wentworth St where it will eventually dip under the CN and St Charles Air Line tracks west of the Metra tracks. There is a realignment of the Metra tracks under consideration as part of "Block 78" which will be constructed north of the St Charles Air Line.

Date: 03/22/20 18:20
Author: ronald321

Will the speed limit be increased from the current dismal 5mph

Painful to watch a passenger train forced to go that slow -- so 1800's

Date: 03/22/20 21:46
Author: DocJohn

Wht degree of curvature for the track shown in the video?

Also, it looked like there was space between the passenger cars and that the diaphargms on the ends of the cars did not touch each other to provide a safe passge for passengers moving from one car to another.

Jon

Date: 03/22/20 23:27
Author: filmteknik

If CN is putting money into it does that mean it's no longer in danger of being removed entirely as some have suggested?  To me that would be a bonehead move.  Once infrastructure like that is gone it's nearly impossible to get it back. 

Date: 03/23/20 06:09
Author: inCHI

Nice photos. I didn't realize they already did that tiny alley bridge. They say the speed will raise from 10mph to 25mph - but I don't know if that will apply to the Air Line Route across the lift bridge that only Amtrak uses at this point. At the 16th St. diamond there is a jog in the tracks that creates a bit of an S curve for that routing. I have a shot of a new bridge near there I'll post soon.

Date: 03/23/20 07:39
Author: RRTom

Thanks for these photos.

Date: 03/23/20 08:01
Author: kevink

Thanks for the progress photos. I've been meaning to get over there and check on the project myself but haven't had the time. 

Date: 03/23/20 18:52

Hopefully the neighbors are paying attention to the announced plans. New bridges are coming and they will be closer to the buildings on the north side than the removed track. Once those bridges and track are in place the process repeats for the south half of the old bridges. The new layout will lead to faster trains.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0489 seconds