Home Open Account Help 375 users online

Passenger Trains > Next Two Sleepers

Date: 03/24/20 06:55
Next Two Sleepers
Author: PCCRNSEngr

To avoid contact with anyone I did not go to CAF this morning for the next two sleepers to come out. Instead went to Wellsburg where I was all by myself to shoot NS 084 to pass with sleepers 62506 Rivanna River and 62508 Rocky River.  Let the comments begin!!!

Date: 03/24/20 06:56
Re: Next Two Sleepers
Author: PCCRNSEngr

NS 084 Consist
P42 100
Cafe 48190
Sleeper 62506 Rivanna River
Sleeper 62508 Rocky River
P42 103

Date: 03/24/20 07:30
Author: DavidP

Just in time -  new axle count cars to make up for the reduced number of revenue cars 😀

Dave

Date: 03/24/20 09:10
Author: amtrak706

Wow 08 has a hell of a bow in the middle...

Date: 03/24/20 09:33
Author: ClubCar

amtrak706 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow 08 has a hell of a bow in the middle...
Please explain ??

Date: 03/24/20 10:18
Author: gaspeamtrak

Good afternoon.
Thank you for sharing this information and great pictures with us !!! :):):)
So that's 6 viewliner II sleepers Amtrak will have if I'm right in my math ?
Please be careful and safe out there... :):):)

Date: 03/24/20 10:29
Author: BRAtkinson

At least they've modified the shower window from a frosted one to only the upper window.  I never felt comfortable with that frosted window, and it 'radiated' cold in the winter.  Maybe they'll use the wall space to better store towels and supplies rather than leaving them in bags for the passengers to tear open, etc.

But, of course, they'll likely be stored or used as axle count cars for some time given reduced consists for a while, assuming Amtrak doesn't suspend LD trains in the near future.

Date: 03/24/20 12:04
Author: NYC4096

BRAtkinson Wrote:
"But, of course, they'll likely be stored or used
as axle count cars for some time given reduced
consists for a while, assuming Amtrak doesn't
suspend LD trains in the near future."

LDTs may not be suspended.  Within the past two hours, the President presented his team's latest information and a goal that targets April 12, 2020 as a return to pre-virus normal daily activities in the USA.

Date: 03/24/20 15:01
Author: Topfuel

amtrak706 Wrote:
> Wow 08 has a hell of a bow in the middle...

As usual, even this thread deteriorates into a Democrat vs Republican shouting match.  The people here on TO reflect the very sharp divide of the public at large in this regard....

To answer the question, yes, most of these new Viewliners sadly seem to have a rather severe negative camber, instead of the usual, traditional positive camber of 1/4" to 1/2" in the finished car.  This may not actually be reflective of any structural problem, but rather some mistakes made with setting up the assembly jigs at the factory so the carbody has around 3/4" positive camber while it is being welded together.  This way, once the carbody is fitted out, the weight of the interior and undercar components cause the car to settle with the desired positive camber. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0407 seconds