Home Open Account Help 415 users online

Passenger Trains > An on board tour of Sand Patch from P-030

Date: 03/29/20 16:02
An on board tour of Sand Patch from P-030
Author: DJ-12

Since no one is really travelling nowadays if they don't absolutely have to (or shouldn't be anyways), I thought it would be fun to post some pics I took from the rear superliner window of a ride I took on the Capitol Limited as we headed down Sand Patch 2 years ago this weekend. It was a typical gray day around here, but I was riding a train, so...
1. Starting at the summit sign, we are headed east down track 1. CSX has really cut back the track complex at Sand Patch over the years, and the empty space at far left is where SA tower once stood.
2. Halfway through the tunnel, we start passing the rear of a loaded coal drag, waiting for us on 2. Note the notches in the portal that allow for double stacks.
3. The headed is patiently waiting for us at Manila, and we take the route through the crossover/helper pocket to cross over ahead of him onto #2 track.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/20 04:20 by DJ-12.

Date: 03/29/20 16:05
Re: An on board tour of Sand Patch from P-030

4. A track gang is getting ready to start their work for the day as we exit the plant at Manila.
5. Passing Cinder's second home at Mance. Stop boards for the gang at Manila are in place.
6. A few miles further, the hamlet of Glencoe is gone in a blink.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/20 16:05 by DJ-12.

Date: 03/29/20 16:10

7. Passing FO, midway down the hill where a set of manually controlled crossovers used to be that would allow some flexibility in operations when one track or another was taken out of service. The small structure at left was "FO", where a switch tender would be stationed to line the crossovers if need be.
8. Exiting the big curve at MP199, one of the most scenic parts of the grade. In a few weeks, this area will be filled with trout fishermen.
9. Falls Cut's portal still looks pretty good compared to the job done at Sand Patch.

Date: 03/29/20 16:14

10. entering the lower 1/3 of the grade at Fairhope. Earl Cummin's "Second Best place" is just off to the right.
11. Passing the cabeese at Hyndman as we reach the valley floor and fast running.
12. We've crossed back over to track 1 at the Hyndman Crossovers. The siding at left used to lead to the old helper storage tracks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/20 04:18 by DJ-12.

Date: 03/29/20 16:17

13. Passing a westbound making his run at the grade between Corriganville and Ellerslie.
14. Arrival at Cumberland.
15. P-030 seen from the ledges at Fairhope on a similar srping day.

Hope you enjoyed the ride!

Date: 03/29/20 22:12
Author: boejoe

Great set of pics.  Really enjoyed the 'trip'.  Have seen so many photos from so many locations and angles over the years but this series really ties them in a nice package to comprehend the hill.
Do I see the former rail camera mounted on the stack of the C&O cupola caboose?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/20 07:23 by boejoe.

Date: 03/30/20 05:51
Author: bandob

Thanks for the virtual trip, DJ-12. Great photos.

Rather than re-post a number of photos,  I'll make all aware that if one goes to the static photography section and does a search by title for "From the Window of a Train" a number of other virtual trips can be taken.

B&OBill

Date: 03/30/20 06:01
Author: cutboy1958

Nice  coverage. A gtear  ride  especially  when the  trees  are  bare.

Date: 03/30/20 14:10
Author: raydrs

Thanks! Great series, takes me back when I lived near the area. 

Date: 03/30/20 16:46
Author: Tominde

We need a new category.  Photo Essay of the Day.   Nicely done.

Date: 03/30/20 18:56
Author: Cumberland

Great photos!

The one taken of the east portal of Falls Cut Tunnel almost seems like a model railroad, not to mention its hight-clearence renovation.

Matthew

Date: 03/30/20 19:59
Author: AndyBrown

Very nice!  That's my favorite spot to ride.

Andy

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0684 seconds