Home Open Account Help 308 users online

Passenger Trains > More on Private Cars

Date: 04/14/01 19:53
More on Private Cars
Author: locoengineer

Can private cars be self supporting without becoming another full time job? (I already have 2, another would be a bit much). I am interested in acquiring a nice car and rehabbing it, but I'm wondering if it will at least break even and perhaps eventually earn back the costs of the rehab perhaps. I don't expect big profits. Is there much of a market out there for private car travel or rental?

Date: 04/14/01 20:08
RE: More on Private Cars
Author: trainz

I responded to your other thread on this topic.

Date: 04/14/01 23:10
Author: GP9Hogger

You may be able to offset SOME of the costs of owning the car by chartering, etc., but not nearly all. Like a boat, the the two best days of your life will be the day you buy it and the day you sell it...
If you REALLY want to screw someone, give them a private RR car, a boat or a horse. It's NOT the first cost that'll kill you...
I KNOW! A friend owns a car, and I've owned a boat and currently I am owned by a horse... To make matters worse, I'm fixin' to buy a highway bus to convert to a motor home. Obviously, I'm a little twisted. You HAVE to be to consider a project like that. I hope you're single...
My friend LOVES his car, I loved my boat and love my horse. Otherwise, why bother...

Date: 04/15/01 05:43

GP9...UH OH, hate to tell you this, but I have an uncle who did the Bus thing (retired Trailways Bus , he redid and put HUGE new engine into) the best 7 years of his life he says. My aunt won't speak about it...Thanks for response...

LE

Date: 04/15/01 08:49
Author: wheelset

Loco engineer, check your first string

Date: 04/16/01 06:46
got time in Oct
Author: matt

Hey there Locoengineer, got some spare time in October.

Email me if you feel like a vacation.

Date: 04/16/01 13:02
RE: Vacation??!

Matt-

Thanks for offering your vacation to help me fix up my new PV, but I don't have it yet. Still spending my time on a prior project (an 1800hp road switcher) Once I get the radiators in that, I'll have time for a PV (and something to pull it). Now I just need a place to run. Hoping NS or CSX will spin of something decent I can buy...beg or steal (net worth is not such that I can write a check...lol...). After I get the PV, if I ever do I'll let you know and you can bring your welder, boom truck and whatever else you can...Oh, I'll definitely offer rides after its done (in 2 or 3 years from what I hear at least).

Just a good thing I have all these jobs...

LE

Date: 04/16/01 15:39
not me, you...

Not my vacation, yours, I already have a PV and you can find out what's involved by sending me USD$500 (per person) for a three day ride and spend the week before hand helping to get it ready.

I'd say it's a bargin!!!hehe

Matt

Date: 04/16/01 18:18
RE: A bargain for you...perhaps

Matt said:
<<
Not my vacation, yours, I already have a PV and you can find out what's involved by sending me USD$500 (per person) for a three day ride and spend the week before hand helping to get it ready.

I'd say it's a bargin!!!hehe
>>

Matt-

Hmmm. I think my two full time jobs would make that difficult. Besides, my railroad employer requires my vacation to be specified by the prior December and I'm afraid October is out of the question. Too close to deer season in these parts...lol...

Next trip, check the head end. I may be the pilot engineer...of course the way things are going with layoffs and the economy, I may not be railroading then, only time and seniority will tell...

LE

Date: 04/16/01 23:42
Tell us about your equipment boys
Author: dan

I was considering buying a coach , now, I'll lease first perhaps.. What PV do u have matt, LOco engr what kind of switcher r u working on and where r u guys located and your equipment?

Date: 04/17/01 03:14
RE: Loco's Loco

MLW RS18u. Currently stored pending repairs on a short line in western NY. (1800 hp 12cyl turbo, loads great.). Got it cheap due to a few minor bugs...

LE

Date: 04/17/01 04:22
sleeper/lounge

Here we go, current interior. Was full sleeper, one end now being converted to a lounge.

No exterior shot, the paint job is a disaster 1980's effort.

Matt
PS, excuse the port/beer bottles, some late nights at the moment to get it ready for an October trip.

Date: 04/17/01 09:02
RE: Tell us about your equipment boys
Author: rwullich

My cars can be seen on the AAPRCO Charter Referral web pages at www.aaprco.com. They are SP 3105 (800701) and El Capitan (800721).

Roy Wullich
Rail Journeys West Inc.
Santa Clara, CA

Date: 04/17/01 16:49

See continuation thread above

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0502 seconds