Home Open Account Help 145 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak Train Tracking Web Page

Date: 05/17/20 20:51
Amtrak Train Tracking Web Page
Author: dtoeppen

I'm headed to Springer-Cerrillos to shoot semaphores. I can never catch them moving. I have to use dissolves between stationary shots instead. 

If I had some production assistants, I'd place them on the line three blocks from the signal I'm filming to cue me. But I don't.

When I've used the train tracking page in the past, it hasn't helped me determine exact train location. I think I've got 10 minutes before it hits Maxwell, and the blade at 706 drops long before it should and the train suddenly appears. No good.

Can anyone give me any insight on the lag time and consistency of lag time when using that site? Does it report accurate departure times? If so, I could at least use Raton/Las Vegas departure time and get within a minute or two. When shooting 35mm movie film, I can't afford to be too far off :-(

Related: Does anyone know what signal # starts the block that causes 706.1 to drop from V to 45, and what signal # causes 706.1 to drop from 45 to H? I know that once last summer it went straight from V to H when train left the Maxwell siding. That was weird, because Maxwell is a few blocks away. Same question for the other direction and 706.2. 

Here's the signal list, btw:

http://suburbs.com/semaphores/atsf_semaphores_nm.pdf

Thank You

Edited 12 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/20 21:04 by dtoeppen.

Date: 05/17/20 22:10
Re: Amtrak Train Tracking Web Page
Author: dan

well it only up dates every few minutes i would figure 10 minutes, so give yourself 15  then occaisionally doesn't up date  for one (8min intervals i think really)  so start checking continuity if you get a chance before you get down there- there may be photo lines forming....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/20 01:04 by dan.

Date: 05/18/20 00:45
Author: SP4360

Not if there is no siding between you and the Maxwell siding. If you were running an opposing train, I would think you would want to know if something got by the end of Maxwell siding heading your way. Now, you have answered part of your question. Hitting the end of Maxwell siding drops the 706.1 to red. So, if these are wired like a normal ABS circuit, the other end of Maxwell should drop the 706.1 to yellow.. Don't know for sure with the ATSF system, but that's how the ABS worked on the Golden State Route when I worked there.
dtoeppen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> Related: Does anyone know what signal # starts the
> block that causes 706.1 to drop from V to 45, and
> what signal # causes 706.1 to drop from 45 to H? I
> know that once last summer it went straight from V
> to H when train left the Maxwell siding. That was
> weird, because Maxwell is a few blocks away. Same
> question for the other direction and 706.2. 
>
> Here's the signal list, btw:
>
> http://suburbs.com/semaphores/atsf_semaphores_nm.p
> df
>
> Thank You

Date: 05/18/20 01:45
Author: mp51w

Somebody on TO got into a real detailed explanation on the semaphore signals out there!
It was a few years ago, and I don't want to take the time searching for the thread, but it was very informative.
Anybody else remember that post?

Date: 05/18/20 11:07
Author: dtoeppen

Nice picture from Bernal. That's the only pair handled by Las Vegas signal shop that doesn't have pinnacles. 

dan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> well it only up dates every few minutes i would
> figure 10 minutes, so give yourself 15  then
> occaisionally doesn't up date  for one (8min
> intervals i think really)  so start checking
> continuity if you get a chance before you get down
> there- there may be photo lines forming....

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.045 seconds