Home Open Account Help 240 users online

Passenger Trains > Through the window of a UA Turbotrain

Date: 06/04/20 13:11
Through the window of a UA Turbotrain
Author: LocomotionMan

While still at home because of Corona, I've had more time to continue going through my old slides and pictures in search of window shots.  Just came across these 4, although the 4th shot I'll admit is an exterior of the train in question. 
     I took these in August of 1976.  The 2-week USA Rail pass I traveled on was a gift from my Grand Ma when I graduated high school.  I rode the vast majority of Amtrak's routes at the time, traveling 11,500 miles.  Some of them are long gone, such as "The Floridian", "The James Whitcomb Riley", "Yankee Clipper" & "North Coast Hiawatha".   The one I really wanted to ride though was the UA Turbo Train.  It was the last train I rode on that Rail Pass odyssey in '76.  I rode it from NYC to New London, CT and returned via a regular Amtrak train.  The coolest thing about that train hands down, was the railfan seat right behind the engineer.
     Pardon the quality of the pictures as they were taken with my Kodak Instamatic 126 camera. 

1.)  The first shot is somewhere in Queens leaving NYC.  We're going under one of the subway lines there.

2.)  Crossing the Hells Gate bridge with an E-60 approaching us on the right.

3.) This shot is south of New London, CT as we're heading into a curve.  Over the shoulder of the engineer I could see that we were cruising along at 100 mph.  As we rounded the curve there were 2 kids standing right in the middle of the tracks playing chicken.  The engineer nearly jumped out of his seat, and for that matter I did too.  He leaned on the horn and we missed them by inches.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/20 13:17 by LocomotionMan.

Date: 06/04/20 13:13
Re: Through the window of a UA Turbotrain
Author: LocomotionMan

4.) An exterior of the train leaving the New London, CT station.  I returned back home to NYC on a regular train with about 2 hours left on my pass.

Date: 06/04/20 14:04
Re: Through the window of a UA Turbotrain
Author: railfan400

The picture with the elevated subway line passing over is at Queens Blvd right near Sunnyside Yard. It's the (IRT) Flushing Line served by the 7 train.

The 4-car TurboTrain was the former Canadian National set while Amtrak's other 2 trainsets had 5 cars.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/20 14:15 by railfan400.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1004 seconds