Home Open Account Help 354 users online

Passenger Trains > Chiefs 3 and 4 at Glorieta, NM depot

Date: 06/30/20 21:03
Chiefs 3 and 4 at Glorieta, NM depot
Author: highgreengraphics

The old Santa Fe 1927-built wood-frame-and-stucco depot at Glorieta, NM (now used as the post office) is positioned inside a tight curve, and the time of day that Southwest Chiefs 3 and 4 pass is never conducive to correct sun angle, so one must try to wait until it is cloudy or near dark. Photo 1 - On June 25, No. 3 is westbound wrapped around the depot, led by the Joe Boardman Veterans commemorative unit No. 42. Photo 2 - The next day, a very late No. 4 squeals around the depot in failing afternoon light from the west, still having motive power problems though a third locomotive was added. It is after hours, so the parking lot has no cars to mar the scene of this more photogenic side. I can't think of any other depot situated on a sharp curve, anybody know of any? Rails of the "New Mexico & Southern Pacific" Railroad (Later Santa Fe) first reached here in 1879. From 1875 to 1880 it was known as "La Glorieta". Before it was established, a little-remarked Civil War "Battle of Glorieta Pass" was fought here for 3 days in March of 1862. Rebel troops were trying to gain a foothold in the American Southwest and failed, after Union troops blew up a confederate supply train some distance away. A wye was once at the crest here to turn helper locomotives, I am standing inside the wye location for Photo 2. Happy glorious railfanning! === === = === JLH

Date: 06/30/20 21:31
Re: Chiefs 3 and 4 at Glorieta, NM depot
Author: robj

Thanks for photos and background. I remember a painting, I think, of the past in a magazine way back, stuck with me, don't remember details.

Bob.

Posted from Android

Date: 07/01/20 01:44
Author: mp51w

I didn't know about the wye.  Neat photos!  I wonder if you could get a hand stamped postage cancellation there?  That would be cool!

Date: 07/01/20 11:25
Author: Cumbresfan

I've been on #4 when #3 was waiting patiently on the siding at Glorieta. Depending on the vagaries of the daily schedule they can meet at Fox to the east or Lamy to the west. I don't know if the Rowe siding is in service.

Date: 07/01/20 19:04
Author: AndyBrown

Excellent photos!  Thanks for posting.

Andy

Date: 07/22/20 12:38
Author: chi_cowboy

Is there an ostrich ranch around Glorieta? On two occasions riding the SWC, I've seen ostriches and I don't think I was hallucinating.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0428 seconds