Home Open Account Help 368 users online

Passenger Trains > Old Amtrak Timetables

Date: 07/02/20 13:44
Old Amtrak Timetables
Author: Soo715

I realize this isn't meant as a board for buying and selling, but I'm wondering if anyone could give me advice on a collection of historic Amtrak timetambles, some as far back as the very early days, early 1970s, lots later 70s, 80s and 90s which I collected until I lost interest (relatively) in passenger trains as opposed to freight operations. Probably three pounds worth, around 50 separate timetables, national and some regional. I'd like them to go to a good home, someone who would appreciate them and first thought of this board on T.O.. I know I could just get on ebay and parcel them off....and I see on there "large lots" of Amtrak timetables, maybe not as large as this lot, listed for $50-100. But I really don't need the hassle/have the time right now and I'd really like them to go not to someone just trying to turn it around and make money but someone with a sincrere interest in Amtrak history.

If it was a museum or historical society I would consider just donating them. If it is an individual with an interest I would ask that maybe the person make an appropriate donation to the Black Butte Center for Railroad Culture, there is a donation button on the website:  http://www.bbcrc.org/helping.html

Anyway, please private message me if you are intersted or can suggest an appropriate recipient organization.

Thanks!

Date: 07/02/20 14:04
Re: Old Amtrak Timetables
Author: WP17

I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but railfans seem to be compusive collectors and many of us have large collections of railroad paper (I have at least one complete set of Amtrak national timetables, and I bet that I'm not the only TO member reading your post that has a complete set). My experience is that you can't even give them away on eBay.

BTW the same is true with old Trains magazines. A lot of museums have more than several complete sets and don't look forward to having to accept another set when a member passes away. 

Good luck with finding a home.

WP17

Date: 07/02/20 14:07
Author: GenePoon

Try the American Passenger Rail Historical Foundation in La Plata, MO. They are the successor organization to the Amtrak Historical Society. They have some of my own items that I've donated to them.

http://www.aprhf.org/

Date: 07/02/20 15:16
Author: Soo715

Thanks! Someone already hit me up and is making a donation for the collection. Problem solved.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0432 seconds