Home Open Account Help 264 users online

Passenger Trains > Chicago Quarantine Order

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 07/02/20 17:10
Chicago Quarantine Order
Author: bandob

Anybody know how this might effect rail travel through Chicago?  14 day quarantine after arrival from many states.

https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/sites/covid-19/home/emergency-travel-order.html?fbclid=IwAR1tCJ65DrrbYEq3Jp_YTXfkfN_wkDaSNiOhOIL-_-BCL6MFO7-LS1g8YPI

B&OBill

Date: 07/02/20 17:40
Re: Chicago Quarantine Order
Author: andersonb109

Good luck with enforcement. How many would it take at O'Hare alone to monitor this. And at Union Station. They would have no clue where people on say the CZ were coming from unless they stopped every passenger and questioned them. OMG I stepped off the train in some intermediate banned state. What happens then?  If I were a passenger on the CZ arriving from a banned state I would simply get off at Naperville and take Metra in or rent a car.  Clearly they want to penalize states with different political views than theirs. Travelers from blue states New York and New Jersey were never banned from entering Chicago when the pandamic was at it height with far more cases there than what some other locations are experiencing now. I know we aren't suppose to include politics in our discussions. But in this case politics affects travel and impacts all of us. I'm fed up with everyone telling me where I can and can't go.  Good luck with Chicago's economy if tourisst are banned. I'm sure request for a federal government bail out will be coming soon. 

Date: 07/02/20 18:16
Author: DesertWind

And what about the passenger traveling from coast to coast with a four hour layover at Chicago Union Station? Sorry - you are stuck here for 14 days? Then what?

Date: 07/02/20 18:34
Author: tramfan

Not trying to be political but just care for fellow man. If you are an adult, take some responsibility. New Mexico has also announced a quarantine..Maybe others will follow. All that they are asking is to protect the precious health of those around us.

Ask the family members of the 130K+ who have died how they feel about quarantining. For example Texas is now in Phase II triage which means that doctors are choosing who receives care. Not announced at the time but during the height of the New York surge, if a patient coded during transport to the hospital the medics ceased trying to sustain the patient. That's where Texas is now.

We could be racing towards another shutdown that could have more impact than the original one. Oh, and we are also facing another PPE shortage for healthcare workers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/20 18:56 by tramfan.

Date: 07/02/20 18:35
Author: inCHI

DesertWind Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And what about the passenger traveling from coast
> to coast with a four hour layover at Chicago Union
> Station? Sorry - you are stuck here for 14 days?
> Then what?

What? No. Why would that matter, you aren't staying. Nothing changes, I would imagine. "What if I came from one of the designated states and am staying less than 14 days? "The mandatory self-quarantine is for a period of 14 days or the duration of the individual’s presence in Chicago, whichever is shorter."

Date: 07/02/20 18:40

andersonb109 Wrote:
> OMG I stepped
> off the train in some intermediate banned state.
> What happens then? 

Here is a novel idea: read the policy. https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/sites/covid-19/home/emergency-travel-order.html"What if I had a connecting flight through one of the designated states but did not stay there?""The Order does not apply to any individual passing through designated states for less than 24 hours in the course of travel."

As for tourism - if someone wants to come here from a place where the response to Covid is currently a disaster, and they come and recklessly expose others, I'd be happy to have them stay away. Nothing has been perfect here, but generally masks and social distancing was followed enough that cases have plummeted in a dense urban area. After all that, I certainly don't want to see all that effort undone.

Date: 07/02/20 20:10
Author: RuleG

andersonb109 Wrote:
>. I'm fed up with everyone telling me where I
> can and can't go. 

I see that Michigan, where you live, is not among the states listed in the announcemnt.  Maybe, just maybe, a reason why Michigan is not on the list is because Governor Gretchen Whitmer acted decisively to control the spread of the coronavirus.

For someone who is fed up with "everyone" telling him where he can and cannot go, you do get around.  You've taken two long-distance Amtrak trips in the past month or two.

In early March, I had plans to travel on Amtrak to join my partner in Denver where she was attending a professional conference.  Due to concerns about the coronavirus, the conference got postponed and I wound up cancelling my trip.  I haven't traveled anywhere outside of Pittsburgh since then.  As I am well, healthy and have a job, I'm doing pretty well during these very difficult times.  I'm not going to whine about Chicago's quarantine order (even though Chicago is one of my favorite travel destinations) if Pennsylvania gets added to the list.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/20 21:39 by RuleG.

Date: 07/02/20 21:21
Author: SP4360

Well I'm sure there is an eastern european block country that is more than willing to take you. You might want to look into it.

andersonb109 Wrote:

> I'm fed up with everyone telling me where I
> can and can't go.  

Date: 07/02/20 23:48
Author: pdt

tramfan Wrote:
> Not trying to be political but just care for
> fellow man. If you are an adult, take some
> responsibility. New Mexico has also announced a
> quarantine..Maybe others will follow. All that
> they are asking is to protect the precious health
> of those around us.
>
> Ask the family members of the 130K+ who have died
> how they feel about quarantining. For example
> Texas is now in Phase II triage which means that
> doctors are choosing who receives care. Not
> announced at the time but during the height of the
> New York surge, if a patient coded during
> transport to the hospital the medics ceased trying
> to sustain the patient. That's where Texas is
> now.
>
> We could be racing towards another shutdown that
> could have more impact than the original one. Oh,
> and we are also facing another PPE shortage for
> healthcare workers.

Well said, Thank you.

I just amazed at all the people who dont seem to care about anyone but themselves. 

Date: 07/03/20 00:43
Author: NYC4096

Selfish?  It will be really interesting when people in America learn the truth; reasons why the COVID19 virus is here and how it became an issue in the first place.  It is truly sad that people can't go about their business or travel in without the threat of a danger that they can't see or avoid.

Date: 07/03/20 06:12
Author: co614

With all due respect to all please allow me to say that the truism we all hear too often is true. We are all in this together. IMHO the shameful lack of leadership at the Federal level since mid February is really near impossible to believe. When other nations jumped on the steps clearly needed to seriously fight the disease ( masks mandatory, social distancing, stay at home orders, massive (rapid result) testing, contact tracing, ppe, dedicated isolation facilities for those identified by testing) most notably S.Korea & Germany, our president led a campaign of denial,lies ( "anyone who wants a test can get one" Trump 3/6/2019, " we have this completly under control" Trump 3/17/2019 ) , and most importantly refused to make obtaining sufficient PPE for our front line health workers a federally led effort.    As the saying goes....the proof is in the pudding.

To this day we are only testing approx. 1/10th. the number of people needed to be able to start to get a handle on this, and have approx. 1/20th. the number ot trained contract tracers needed. 

While most of Europe is now enjoying a phased re-opening with constantly decreasing numbers we are witnessing record daily highs in infections and in two states so far ( Fl.& Tx.) their health systems having to go to triaging inbound patients to determine who gets Covid care based upon probability of recovery as they're out of spare ICU capacity and in the case of Tx. out of spare ventilators. Those deemed to have the lesser chance of recovery are allowed to expire. This is the now reality in the most advanced nation in the world. 

And, with all this happening our commander in chief is this evening headed for a fireworks display where social distancing and masks will not be required. Unbelievable but sadly true. 

Quite obviously until there is wide spread availability of an effective vaccine ( mid 2021 ?? ) we will continue to be flying blind and be constantly behind the curve.

Sad but true.  Ross Rowland 

Date: 07/03/20 06:28
Author: goneon66

speaking of UNBELIEVABLE, 

businesses were closed but protesting and civil unrest were allowed where there were was NO social distancing.............

Date: 07/03/20 07:05

goneon66 Wrote:
> speaking of UNBELIEVABLE, 
>
> businesses were closed but protesting and civil
> unrest were allowed where there were was NO social
> distancing.............

But there mostly were masks. Data is still coming out, but most states where protests were the largest have not shown huge rises in cases. To bring this back to Chicago, there were days and days of mass protests in late May/early June, and free Covid testing was provided afterwards to try and identify and stop more spread. A month later, the reporting does not indicate a significant uptick following the protests. Outdoors + masks + efforts to keep distant seems to have some effect.

Date: 07/03/20 08:39
Author: commissioner

My apologies for going off-topic but I'm with Co614 on this one. The self-centeredness of some people on here is amazing.I'm a Personal care attendant and live with someone who has leukemia and would never put their lives at risk and as much as I would love to, I would not want to be on a train at all right now, let alone 2 long distance trips because I don't feel like getting Covid because some idiot refuses to wear a mask  . If president wingnut had his stuff together and listened to the experts as opposed to doing pretty much nothing, we'd be where Europe is now.

Mark Kennebeck
Saint Paul, MN

Date: 07/03/20 09:10
Author: goneon66

so, covid-19 is serious enough to order 14 day quarantines and CLOSE some public beaches.

that's right, some beaches are CLOSED even if you wear a mask.

but not much is being done to stop the LARGE gatherings at protests or the acts of CIVIL UNREST...............

Date: 07/03/20 10:41
Author: masterphots

My favorite message is the economy is of prime importance over public health.  OK, but does anyone consider what the economy might do if there is an out of control increase in infections, hospitalizations, etc?   Then it won't matter what is open or closed,  few people will be out to buy anything other than essentials.  Other than bars in big cities,  does anyone expect jammed restaurants anytime soon?   Something to think about.   And the great stock market is taking this into account.....look at the valuations of on-line companies,  such as Amazon,  Shopify,  Mercado Libre (all over $1000/share) as well as Netflix,  Apple,  Microsoft.....    That's where business is going these days and it's not going to change anytime soon, with or without a vaccine.

Date: 07/03/20 13:03
Author: Englewood

Don't worry about getting stuck in Chicago.
If you have a problem just remember Chicago is a
sanctuary city and Illinois a sanctuary state.

Pretend you don't understand english and don't show any ID.
The city and state are yours.

Now that I have your attention with my silly statement,
can we please leave politics out of trainorders.com

There are few places where we can go these days without getting
into these very polarizing conversations.  Can't we all just enjoy
what we can of our mutual hobby.  In the old days, polite conversation
avoided religion and politics.  

Our perhaps the site should be divided into Progressive, Liberal and Conservative boards.

If you are concerned about Chicago's latest rulings and how it affects
train travel, call Amtrak.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/20 13:08 by Englewood.

Date: 07/03/20 17:51
Author: jp1822

I will say that it is getting a little weird in the Northeast as to what they "will open" and what "won't be opening." The picking and choosing is really starting to cause issues on multiple levels. There's not a lot of social distancing happening in box box stores or even grocery stores, let alone protests and riots. Yet the small businesses and Mom & Pop stores are still denied openings or dealing with "outdoor dining only" admist 90+ degree temps. If people want to stay home - they can. If some people want to try travel - they need to do so smartly. 

Date: 07/04/20 08:16
Author: PlyWoody

If you drive from NY to Florida to see your family and drive right back to NY you will have to Quarantine for two weeks.  And the NY State Police or local Sheriff will visit you residence at any time to see that you are home.
They read you cell phone travel records and track you after you return.  Governor Chomo has a new law permitting them to search your cell phone travel records.
They know where you went and when you came back.  And if you were near someone who had been found to have the virus, they track you down to get tested.  Aggressive, all with cell phone ownership.

Date: 07/04/20 08:27
Author: Typhoon

PlyWoody Wrote:
> If you drive from NY to Florida to see your family
> and drive right back to NY you will have to
> Quarantine for two weeks.  

If you come to Florida from NY, you are supposed to quarantine in Florida for 2 weeks as well.  It does not sound or look like people from NY are following that rule (not surprised).

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0984 seconds