Home Open Account Help 332 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak Crossing Over The Erie Canal - Tonawanda, NY - 7-4-2020

Date: 07/05/20 11:59
Amtrak Crossing Over The Erie Canal - Tonawanda, NY - 7-4-2020
Author: Amtrak288

Here's Empire Service Train #281 crossing over the historic Erie Canal on its way to Niagara Falls yesterday. The locomotives primarily used on this train are 700-series GE P32AC-DM's and as of now, all but two of them have been repainted into Phase III and feature an Empire Service logo on each side as these trains are state-sponsored.  These trains all operate with Amfleet I equipment. Enjoy!

Date: 07/05/20 13:02
Re: Amtrak Crossing Over The Erie Canal - Tonawanda, NY - 7-4-202
Author: MEKoch

Good shot of train, bascule bridge and canal.  

Date: 07/05/20 13:04
Author: CP8888

Does this bridge open for barge traffic?

Posted from Android

Date: 07/05/20 13:51
Author: RuleG

This is a very nice photo.  Thanks for sharing.

Date: 07/05/20 14:35
Author: mp51w

Awesome bridge photo!  What's the age of that structure?

Date: 07/05/20 15:43
Author: jp1822

Nice catch of an Empire Corridor Service Train!!!

So question......Even with the full roster of the 700 series dual mode locomotives, Amtrak still needed to do an "engine change" at Albany. I did notice that occasionally, the Adirondack or Ethan Allen would continue on "north" without an engine change, but this was largely limited to Friday or weekend operations, when there was a bit of less frequencies, or tighter turn of equipment. And of course if some of the 700 series locomotive were "out of service," a Friday or weekend engine change would keep the 700 series dual mode closer to home (e.g.. Albany). Presuming that with the Adirondack and Ethan Allen's reduction in service (not running north of Albany) as well as the Maple Leaf (not running beyond Niagara Falls), this has freed up locomotives in the Empire Service corridor to the point that those trains running can continue on "through Albany" without an engine change??? Not sure  if the Empire Corridor is operating with any other service reductions besides those trains mentioned. Any reductions in basic corridor service between NYP and Albany?  Is only the Lake Shore Limited's consist requiring the engine change in Albany? 

Surprised that the Adirondack isn't operating from Albany to Plattsburgh yet.....even as we enter into July. The Adirondack does have intermediate point travel to upstate NY, it's not all going to Montreal, as has been proven over and over. I understand it can't operate to Montreal, but has NY State temporarily pulled the money for its operation? Same for Vermont and the Ethan Allen Express? Is the NY Fair happening this year - as this used to have a LOT of patrons come in by train. Perhaps it makes sense with COVID-19 outbreaks in NY, not sure.  

Date: 07/05/20 16:45
Author: march_hare

CP8888 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does this bridge open for barge traffic?
>
> Posted from Android

The bridge is still operable, but there is very little commercial barge traffic on the west end of the canal so it does not open often.  Most recreational boats can fit underneath without opening. 

The dock at the right side of the photo is a recent addition, completed after a large environmental cleanup project to remove toxic coal tar contamination from the river bottom a few years ago. Nice trail now alongside the canal. 

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/20 16:48 by march_hare.

Date: 07/05/20 19:44
Author: JimBaker

I was hoping to see the mules towing the barges like in the old days.

James R.(Jim) Baker
Whittier, CA

Date: 07/05/20 20:58
Author: gaspeamtrak

Great shot Geno !
Just wondering what's happening with your website? Your trip reports haven't been updated for a few years???

Date: 07/05/20 22:34
Author: Amtrak288

gaspeamtrak Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great shot Geno !
> Just wondering what's happening with your website?
> Your trip reports haven't been updated for a few
> years???

Thanks everyone for the wonderful comments!  Gaspeamtrak, yes I know I haven't updated anything in awhile, I have a good backlog of work but I do run the site in my spare time and that is something that well, I haven't had a whole lot of over the last several years so unfortunately I don't have a timetable as to when everything will be updated but I have been taking trips (I just got home from one on June 18th actually) and more are planned and thus, more travelogues.  I will definitely post a link here when my next travelogue goes live!  I have added lots of new roster photos over the last several years and have several new ones coming up from this most recent trip.  Thanks again!

Date: 07/06/20 10:17
Author: nm2320

jp1822 Wrote:

Is the NY Fair happening this year - as
> this used to have a LOT of patrons come in by
> train. Perhaps it makes sense with COVID-19
> outbreaks in NY, not sure.  

NY State Fair is cancelled for 2020.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0392 seconds