Home Open Account Help 369 users online

Passenger Trains > Struggling airline swaps planes for trains

Date: 07/06/20 10:35
Struggling airline swaps planes for trains
Author: SAAP

Date: 07/06/20 11:39
Re: Struggling airline swaps planes for trains
Author: andersonb109

Not sure why anyone would want to fly such a short distance when high speed rail is available. Probably less total travel time when you take into account drive time to airport and screening which apparently some others on TO think is necessary at railway stations. 

Date: 07/06/20 12:21
Author: symph1

Remember, this is for travel between Salzburg and the Vienna airport, not downtown. So it seems to be for people heading for another flight. They'll still have to go through airport security.

Date: 07/06/20 12:36
Author: bobs

Austria's national passenger rail company is ÖBB, not ÖOB as stated in the article.

Date: 07/07/20 05:11
Author: DrawingroomA

On a trip through Germany in 1985 I noticed a few intercity trains painted with the logo of Lufthansa. I don't  recall all the stations where I saw one of those special trains, but Nuremberg was one of them. Adverts in the stations explained the convenience of taking a Lufthansa train directly to Frankfurt airport.

Date: 07/07/20 06:43
Author: ctillnc

I believe there were only 5 SZG-VIE flights a day. Many passengers were taking a train already. 

Unless ÖBB and Austrian have worked out a baggage-handling deal, the train-takers will have to haul their luggage to VIE instead of handing it to Austrian at SZG. Some folks might have preferred to fly for that reason alone.

Date: 07/07/20 09:19
Author: pennengineer

DrawingroomA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> On a trip through Germany in 1985 I noticed a few
> intercity trains painted with the logo of
> Lufthansa. I don't  recall all the stations where
> I saw one of those special trains, but Nuremberg
> was one of them. Adverts in the stations explained
> the convenience of taking a Lufthansa train
> directly to Frankfurt airport.

Ah, yes, the class 403, a railfan favorite, despite (or perhaps in part due to) only three having ever been built: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DB_Class_403

These days, Lufthansa code share arrangements are handled by ICE trains that in addition to their up-to-four-digit ICE xxxx train numbers are also assigned Lufthansa flight numbers beginning with LH. Lufthansa passengers are through-booked and there are certain coaches reserved only for them. The number of destinations served has been continually expanded so that today there are some 120 trains per day departing Cologne airport, to give just one example.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0401 seconds