Home Open Account Help 159 users online

Passenger Trains > Two cars with the same name

Date: 07/22/20 22:02
Two cars with the same name
Author: cvrrr

Took these two pictures on the same day in the late 70s early 80s at the CN station in Vancouver BC.  They were across the platform from one another. The first was a sleeper {ex CNR} on the Super Continental and the other was and still is a diner {ex CPR} on the Canadian. Could have been confusing for the switch crews if they were not paying attention!

Date: 07/23/20 03:21
Re: Two cars with the same name
Author: andersonb109

Al CPl Budd diners were named after CP hotel dining rooms.  All CN E series sleepers were named after towns along the line. I wonder if those two cars were ever on the same train after VIA Begin mixing the two railway's passenger cars together. Many of athe Budd diners have survived and are even currently being rebuilt. All E series sleepers are long gone, at least from VIA. 

Date: 07/23/20 04:18
Author: DavidP

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> All E series
> sleepers are long gone, at least from VIA. 

They were ubiquitous in the late 80s on VIA trains, but didn't make the cut for HEP conversion following the 1990 cutbacks.  One of them - Enterpise - is a permanent resident at the end of my street, serving as a static display car for the North Woodstock, NH based Cafe Lafayette Dinner Train.

Dave

Date: 07/23/20 08:49
Author: BoilingMan

When California's rebuilt "Comet" cars were delivered I noticed two had the same name, but only if viewed from one side- one of the two had different names on each side!
Oopsie.
I called Stan Hunter at CalTrans and I could actually hear his eyes rolling in Sacramento, 90 miles away!   The mix up was straightened out before the car when out in revenue service.
SR

Date: 07/24/20 09:06
Author: aehouse

My favorite "E" series car was "Entrance,"  named for Entrance, Alberta. 

The end doors of the car, as on all others, had a name plate. I always got a kick out the fact that the doors said "Entrance," to most passengers that likely, simply made sense.

Art House

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0422 seconds