Home Open Account Help 325 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak 14 South of Klamath with a Consist Question

Date: 08/03/20 10:43
Amtrak 14 South of Klamath with a Consist Question
Author: spider1319

We observed Amtrak train No. 14 in both directions and saw the baggage car on the rear end.We are planning a trip on the Empire Builder and wondered if this is  also true of nos.7 and 8.This would mean no rear car to look out and more importantly sleeper next to the engines.This is  probably a deal breaker for us ,listening to whistle all night long .Anybody know what the current Builder consist looks like.The crew on the Starlight told my son the bag is on the rear because of the covid virus? Bill Webb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/20 10:43 by spider1319.

Date: 08/03/20 10:56
Re: Amtrak 14 South of Klamath with a Consist Question
Author: jello

For 7/8/27/28, the 7/8 sleepers will always be closest to the engines, and the 27/28 sleepers will always be furthest from the engines (i.e. the last cars of the consist).  This is due to the split in Spokane and always putting the coaches together in the middle.

Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like there is a high level door on the first superliner car (in other words, no transition dorm car).  Someone had said a while back that when the first passenger car has a high level door in the front, they have to install a baffle to limit diesel fumes in the passenger cars, and the baggage car interferes with the installation of the baffle.  Thus, if the first car has a high level door facing the engines, they have to put the baggage car in the back.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/20 11:04 by jello.

Date: 08/03/20 11:23
Author: PHall

When the baggage car is up front the first sleeper is usually the Transition Dorm/Sleeper. This car has a low level door at one end and a high level door at the other end.
When this car is used a shield is not needed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/20 11:23 by PHall.

Date: 08/03/20 11:26
Author: bmarti7

27/28 sleepers always on rear. However they are running 2nd Portland sleeper now so you may/may not be in rear car 

BB

Date: 08/03/20 13:45
Author: Pioneer2526

Yea the first 2 cars are regular sleepers and the car before the baggage does not look like a transdorm. I’m
Guessing it was bad ordered so they put the baggage on the rear

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/03/20 14:37
Author: SCAX3401

Pioneer2526 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yea the first 2 cars are regular sleepers and the
> car before the baggage does not look like a
> transdorm. I’m
> Guessing it was bad ordered so they put the
> baggage on the rear

Prior statement was correct.  Not using the Transitional Dorm Sleeper due to reduced demand from Covid.  When this occurs, the have to install baffle on high front door of leading sleeper.  Can't do that with a baggage in front of it (it gets in the way), so the baggage goes at the rear.  Thus there is no access to the baggage car while moving.

As far as hearing the horn, you can hear it from second and even third sleeper car from the locomotive, even with the baggage car.  With all the sounds the sleeper car makws while doing 79 MPH (or even 90 MPH) down the track, the horn in my opinion doesn't prevent one from sleeping.  I actually enjoy all the sounds in a sleeping car at night.

Date: 08/03/20 16:14
Author: jp1822

The original question asked has not been answered - what's the current consist of the Empire Builder, particularly upFRONT with the baggage car and lack of (or not) the Superliner Trans Dorm Sleeper. I know that the Portland section is running with:

P42
Sightseer Lounge
Superliner Coach
Superliner Coach
Superliner Sleeper (Portland Sleeper 2830)
Superliner Sleeper (Portland Sleeper 2831) 

So here's what I do know:

- There's no Viewliner Baggage Car on the rear of the Empire Builder (combined or not combined).
- Portland section runs with a Coach/Baggage.
- The Seattle section, NOT SURE if the baggage is upFRONT or not, along with a Superliner Trans Dorm/Sleeper.
- The Seattle section is running with two Superliner Sleepers (730 and 731 or 830 and 831). 

So may want to backtrack to see if you've seen pictures of the front of the Empire Builder when combined (or Seattle Section) and see if it has these two cars (baggage and Superliner Trans-Dorm Sleeper). I believe it may have had a baggge car, but not a Trans-Drom Sleeper. So you may get one of the cars to help buffer the locomotive whistle, but doubt there will be two cars. the '30 car will always be closest to the Diner so it's back at least one car from the most head-end sleeper. 

Date: 08/03/20 17:33
Author: RevRandy

Have also heard that the Viewliner baggage cars take in too much exhaust fumes (they are ventilated from roof vents but not A/Ced) so positioning them on the rear makes them safer for those handling baggage. 

Date: 08/03/20 17:42
Author: walstib

The last couple of times I saw 7 or 8 this summer there was no baggage car. They were using one of those coach/baggage cars like 27/28 has.

This was about a month ago, so I’m not sure if it’s still running that way.

Here’s number 7 in June: https://flic.kr/p/2js74BA

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/03/20 19:42
Author: n5dhg

Tonight's A8 (3), was by Skukomish on time and had in the consist:

P42
Sleeper
Sleeper
Diner
Coach/Baggage
Coach

Date: 08/04/20 07:56
Author: Skyline

Two thoughts:

1) Earplugs.

2) The sound of a train's horn in the dark of night can be a good thing.

Date: 08/04/20 09:10
Author: spider1319

First of all ,thanks for the responses.We would be getting on at Pasco and so I am guessing by the response we would be on the rear.We rode once before and were on the rear,but that was over five years ago.And, it facilitated a few good photos.When it comes to the horn,probably a minor issue but after a railroad career of lots of noise ,we would prefer quiet..The ear pluggs is a good idea and I must confess they saved my hearing.I used to tell everybody I am saving my hearing for the heavy metal concerts I plan to attend during my retirement.Bill Webb

Date: 08/04/20 09:47
Author: jp1822

Boarding at Pasco, the sleeper(s) are on the rear. Right now Amtrak is operating two Portland based sleepers, so there's a 2830 and 2831 car. I believe the 2831 (2731) sleeper would be rear-most. If only one sleeper for the Portland section, then it's 2830 (or 2730).

Why Boardman thought he needed all these new Viewliner based baggage cars was confusing at time of order, and is still confusing to this day. Recall they re-arranged the order to get more Viewliner Baggs over Viewliner Bagg/Dorms, which was ridiuclous. They should have just went with bagg/dorms (with an accessible bedroom if that's what is needed to get revenue passengers in the Dorm portion) and sleepers. Amtrak made an accessible bedroom out of the equivalent of two roomette floor plans with the Heritage 10-6 sleeper. The Superliner Coach/Baggage cars come in handy - really nicely!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0563 seconds