Home Open Account Help 367 users online

Passenger Trains > Empire Builder Trip Report

Date: 09/21/20 04:07
Empire Builder Trip Report
Author: Memma

Hi All

Another trip report just published! This one on the Empire Builder from Seattle to Chicago.
What a beautiful trip! 

https://trainreview.com/article/exploring-glacier-national-park-and-americas-north-aboard-amtraks-empire-builder

I hope everyone is well and staying safe!

Date: 09/21/20 04:48
Re: Empire Builder Trip Report
Author: goduckies

Must be old, they had steak!

Posted from Android

Date: 09/21/20 05:04
Author: Slumbercoach

Just to demonstrate how dinng service has fallen, returning home from Seattle on the Empire Builder in 2008, I had literally the best steak I had ever enjoyed anywhere, during our second night, crossing N. Dakota.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/20 05:04 by Slumbercoach.

Date: 09/21/20 05:54
Author: andersonb109

Great report on a service that is mostly no longer available. For anyone who thinks the crap being served now is acceptable, please look at the photos of the poster's meals. All well prepared and presented. It is a disgrace what is being done to our long distance trains...scheduling included. As for his 19 hour flight, my record is 18 from JFK to Johannesburg. Once (or twice on the same trip) was way more than enough...especially back then when Business Class was only seen when boarding or deboarding the plane!

Date: 09/21/20 13:55
Author: PRR1361

Not sure about the Builder, but Auto Train put steak back on the menu two years ago after about a 5 year hiatus.

Date: 09/21/20 23:33
Author: Memma

I can't imagine a 2 day trip on one of the Western trains with Flex Dining - fingers crossed it gets back to normal soon... I really enjoyed the food in the pre-COVID dining cars!

We have some very long flights from Australia - even Asia which is "close" is 7-12 hours! LAX is usually about a 14.5 hours non-stop, then the connection to Seattle dragged this one out to 19 hours, Europe is 22 at best - very painful...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/20 23:38 by Memma.

Date: 09/23/20 04:56
Author: crusader5619

Is the OP a front for whomever has created this website? It appears to be mostly a massive and professionally laid out page mostly devoid of original content. Or am I missing something?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0478 seconds