Home Open Account Help 323 users online

Passenger Trains > North American Railway Stations Part 33

Date: 09/22/20 03:52
North American Railway Stations Part 33
Author: andersonb109

I wasn't sure if this structure should be included. It's not really a station. At least not yet. It's the Farley Post Office Building opposite Madison Square Garden. And somewhat resembles the facade of the long gone magnificent Penn Station building. I have no idea the timing or progress but Amtrak plans to take it over replacing the current rat hole as it sits over existing tracks. The new name of the structure is the Moynihan Station named after the late Senator. Perhaps those in the New York area can provide a further update on progress. 

Date: 09/22/20 05:07
Re: North American Railway Stations Part 33
Author: Molino

I can imagine renovating a large solid structure such as this into a waiting room and ticket sales etc...
How will the underground operation be transitioned from one location to another?  That's got to be a formidable project!

Date: 09/22/20 10:59
Author: krm152

Have seen the building but never was in it.
Looks like it would make a nice depot.
ALLEN

Date: 09/22/20 12:37
Author: RevRandy

Have mailed letters in that building, going back into the 1950s.  Have used the relatively new concourse and platform access over there once.  It could be a magnificent station, taking the AMTRAK traveler out of the commuter morass into which they now must mix.  

Date: 09/22/20 12:46
Author: Lackawanna484

The Moynihan post office sits over the West end of some Amtrak platforms in NY Penn.

Does it also sit over NJ Transit and LIRR platforms?

Posted from Android

Date: 09/22/20 13:02
Author: pdt

This would make a great new penn station. Unfortunately, theyve been talking about it for 40 years.  its just ridiculous.   You'd think NYC would have some sort of interest in having a nice grand station for visitors arriving in NYC.  But similar to JFK airport, the welcome to NYC is just an uncoordinated mess of  construction, add-ons , and half built things.   Its pretty sad. 

IIRC, the design for the "grand hall" is more like a modern airport, or a brightline station.  Not at all in keeping with the stature of the outer facade, which is also a shame. There has been some talk about building something that is more in line with what old penn station looked like.  But i doubt that will happen. Makes too much sense.

Date: 09/22/20 15:24
Author: SanDiegan

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wasn't sure if this structure should be
> included. It's not really a station. At least not
> yet. It's the Farley Post Office Building opposite
> Madison Square Garden. And somewhat resembles the
> facade of the long gone magnificent Penn Station
> building. I have no idea the timing or progress
> but Amtrak plans to take it over replacing the
> current rat hole as it sits over existing tracks.
> The new name of the structure is the Moynihan
> Station named after the late Senator. Perhaps
> those in the New York area can provide a further
> update on progress. 

Haven't they been planning this since the 1980's ?

Date: 09/22/20 15:28
Author: NYCLV

Above the column of the Post Office building are the words

"Neither snow nor rain nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds"

What if couriers was changed to trains......?

Date: 09/22/20 19:38
Author: WrongWayMurphy

Maybe they could get it done quicker by monetizing the air rights above it, you know,
like build a large high-rise structure over it.

Date: 09/22/20 19:45
Author: Lackawanna484

WrongWayMurphy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe they could get it done quicker by monetizing
> the air rights above it, you know,
> like build a large high-rise structure over it.

In NY, the purchaser of the air rights doesn't even have to build over the seller's ground space. In some cases, you can build within any contiguous block, which makes the rights extremely useful. By the rights, add 15-20 floors to your building a block away...

But you still have shadow, light, setback, all kinds of hell to deal with.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0471 seconds