Home Open Account Help 311 users online

Passenger Trains > Twilight Shoreliner

Date: 09/28/01 23:45
Twilight Shoreliner
Author: usa4624

Does the Twilight Shoreliner run with Amfleet I or Amfleet II coaches? How long is the average consist?

Date: 09/29/01 03:42
RE: Twilight Shoreliner
Author: piszczek

> Does the Twilight Shoreliner run with Amfleet I or Amfleet II
> coaches?

I don't know the difference between Amfleet I or II coaches. :(

>How long is the average consist?

See attached photo- this is a typical consist.

Date: 09/29/01 07:34
Author: prr60

Typically, the Twilight Shoreliner runs with Amfleet I coaches.

Amfleet I coaches are the original Amtrak NEC cars manufactured by Budd and use the Penn Central Metroliner car body design. They have small, slit-like windows (which are too high for a child to look our without kneeling on the seat) and standard reclining seats. The Amfleet II cars are a derivative of the original Amfleet design with modifications for overnight service. They have leg-rest seats and larger windows. Amfleet I has vestibules at both ends. Amfleet II has a vestibule at one end only.

(Speaking of windows, I may be wrong, but I believe the Viewliner cars use both Amfleet window designs. The lower window appears to be the same as Amfleet II, and the upper window is the same as Amfleet I. If so, that was a neat design trick to effectively use existing stock window sizes.)

The consist shown in the photo posted by piszczek shows the train in Virginia. I believe a couple of additional coaches are added between Boston and DC.

Date: 09/29/01 09:40
Author: JohnThomas

Unfortunately, the level of service on the Twilight Shoreliner has been deteriorating in recent times. There used to be a Twilight Lounge car (was it a modified half & half Amclub?) for use by sleeping car and Business Class guests. I also heard it through the grapevine that the sleeper itself might be in jeopardy if it's needed more elsewhere in the system, as Amtrak will be tightening the supply once the Three Rivers goes Viewliner.

Date: 09/29/01 14:35
Author: rdg484

When I worked No. 66 the other week, we had 7 cars: 1 MHC, 3 refurbished Amfleet I's in Phase V, a half-club, a Viewliner sleeper, and 1 bag in the rear. Not too long ago, it ran 2 MHC's, 4 refurbished Amfleet I's, a half-coach cafe, the "Twilight Lounge" (half-club for Business Class), the Viewliner Sleeper and a bag on the rear. If they get rid of the sleeper, that will be the end of that train.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1051 seconds