Home Open Account Help 304 users online

Passenger Trains > Surfliner Car Number Question

Date: 10/09/20 16:04
Surfliner Car Number Question
Author: Amtrak288

On a recent trip, I photographed Surfliner Coach/Cafe #6303 which bears the name "San Francisquito Canyon", I have another roster photo of Coach/Cafe #6306 taken 8 years ago that also bears the same name "San Francisquito Canyon", is the State of California renaming the cars???  I'm trying to put roster photos together and wanted to know if anyone could shed some light on this little mystery???

Date: 10/09/20 16:15
Re: Surfliner Car Number Question
Author: stanhunter

According to "Amtrak By The Numbers", by David Warner, 6303 is the official San Francisquito Canyon.  6306 should be Temescal Canyon.  I recall that, at one point, two different cars bore that name for a short period of time, due to an error in decaling.  Amtrak applied their Surfliner car names retroactively, whereas Caltrans applied the car names on their 12 southern California Surfliners at time of build.  The Caltrans-owned Surfliners (reporting marks CDTX) bear road numbers ending in xx51, xx52 and xx53.

Stan Hunter
Fair Oaks, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/20 16:21 by stanhunter.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0362 seconds