Home Open Account Help 384 users online

Passenger Trains > San Antonio layover suggestions, please

Date: 10/14/20 03:09
San Antonio layover suggestions, please
Author: Copeland

We are looking at a six hour layover in San Antonio, traveling from New Orleans to Dallas.  Any suggestions how to use this time?  I guess an alternative would be to e tend the journey by making the stop an overnight.  Is there anything interesting enough to warrant that?  Thank you!

Date: 10/14/20 03:57
Re: San Antonio layover suggestions, please
Author: howeld

Remember the Alamo?

The Alamo is ok. A little smaller than I was expecting but worth seeing. I highly recommend the Riverwalk. Good day and night but not sure what Covid did to the area.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/14/20 04:19
Author: andersonb109

If overnight be sure to look at connections. Both trains are now 3x per week. Both the Alamo and Riverwalk are a bit of a walk from the station. The Riverwalk is great. Lots of restaurants at river level. There are also boat tours that take about an hour. Given that Texas is a well run draconian restriction free state, I would assume both are open. The Alamo can be viewed without entrance. Most of the structures are gone. It's more about the site and history. The Riverwalk is outside. and not blocked in any way so I don't see how they could keep anyone from enjoying the area. Boats are also outside. Restaurants have been open in Texas for months. Even the Dallas Cowboys had  what looked like half capacity at their game on Sunday. If you stay overnight, the excellent old historic Menger Hote isl near the Alamo and a shopping mall.
Enjoy your trip.

Date: 10/14/20 05:13
Author: WrongWayMurphy

Considering your train arrives San Antonio at midnight, and leaves for Dallas at 7 am,
your options are limited - perhaps a visit to the local Whataburger or iHOP.?

Date: 10/14/20 06:24
Author: howeld

There was a Best Western very near the station. It’s been awhile but it was very nice hotel.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/14/20 09:18
Author: sums007

howeld Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There was a Best Western very near the station.
> It’s been awhile but it was very nice hotel.
>
> Posted from iPhone

Right across the street from the station is a Staybridge Suites, as well.

Date: 10/14/20 10:26
Author: walstib

The River Walk is worth checking out, and ride the boats if they’re running.

San Antonio also has a nice, operating Greyhound depot. Even if you’re not into buses, the old depot is an interesting relic of a bygone era. Get pictures before you can’t. It’s downtown.

As previously mentioned, it’s a bit of a hike from the depot to the River Walk, but it’s a quick Uber ride.

The Alamo is ok. It’s a bucket list item. I was more impressed by the Greyhound depot.

There’s another train station on the opposite side of downtown, too. It’s some sort of office building now, but it’s worth checking out if you like old depots. It’s not in the greatest part of town, so be careful.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/14/20 11:19
Author: BRAtkinson

sums007 Wrote:
>
> Right across the street from the station is a Staybridge Suites, as well.

I stayed there a couple of years ago after getting off the #21, the Texas Eagle.  As it turned out, I followed the T & E crew into the hotel.  I thought it was a really decent hotel and at a good price, too. 

As mentioned above, double check your arrival day and time against your planned departure date and time.  You may have a longer than anticipated layover between trains.

Date: 10/14/20 12:15
Author: JimBaker

The former station ontj the west side of town is the Former IGN - MoPac depot off Commerce Street.
I.-G-N International Great Northern 'of Texas'.
I spent sme time down there during my Air Force days in 1963.

James R.(Jim) Baker
Whittier, CA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0404 seconds