Home Open Account Help 273 users online

Passenger Trains > Metra Sues UP for Breach of Contract


Date: 10/14/20 14:01
Metra Sues UP for Breach of Contract
Author: kevink

October surprises aren’t just for elections any more:
https://metrarail.com/about-metra/newsroom/metra-sues-breach-contract

Posted from iPhone



Date: 10/14/20 14:13
Re: Metra Sues UP for Breach of Contract
Author: Lackawanna484

Perhaps Metra should seek a remedy of hiring / assigning its own employees to serve in the contracted service roles (conductors and engineers) and take over the dispatching of the affected lines.

I suspect that might get UP's attention...



Date: 10/14/20 17:53
Re: Metra Sues UP for Breach of Contract
Author: HotWater

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Perhaps Metra should seek a remedy of hiring /
> assigning its own employees to serve in the
> contracted service roles (conductors and
> engineers) and take over the dispatching of the
> affected lines.
>
> I suspect that might get UP's attention...

Somehow I do NOT see the UP allowing Metra to "take over" dispatching of the former CNW 3 track main line west out of Chicago toward the Missouri River. The BNSF still handles dispatching of their former CB&Q 3 track main line out of Chicago.



Date: 10/14/20 18:26
Re: Metra Sues UP for Breach of Contract
Author: Lackawanna484

HotWater Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lackawanna484 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Perhaps Metra should seek a remedy of hiring /
> > assigning its own employees to serve in the
> > contracted service roles (conductors and
> > engineers) and take over the dispatching of the
> > affected lines.
> >
> > I suspect that might get UP's attention...
>
> Somehow I do NOT see the UP allowing Metra to
> "take over" dispatching of the former CNW 3 track
> main line west out of Chicago toward the Missouri
> River. The BNSF still handles dispatching of their
> former CB&Q 3 track main line out of Chicago.

Absolutely agree, of course.  But, when you sue, you seek a remedy for the cause of your grievance.  Demanding control of a key Union Pacific asset would get their attention, and cause them to seek some kind of agreement.

Many class 1 railroads operate in a monopoly mode. They dictate to their employees, dictate to their shippers, dictate to everyone.  So, grabbing them by the ------- will get their attention. Then you can talk about how to solve this issue



Date: 10/14/20 20:06
Re: Metra Sues UP for Breach of Contract
Author: kevink

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Perhaps Metra should seek a remedy of hiring /
> assigning its own employees to serve in the
> contracted service roles (conductors and
> engineers) and take over the dispatching of the
> affected lines.
>
> I suspect that might get UP's attention...

My understanding is that UP wants Metra to also take over staffing and operations of the various facilities that service Metra equipment (fueling, maintenance, cleaning etc.). I agree that Metra should get additional control of the tracks as part of this. They have already plowed taxpayer money into infrastructure improvements. 



Date: 10/15/20 04:46
Re: Metra Sues UP for Breach of Contract
Author: dan

exactly what UP wants, they want to be rid of it



Date: 10/15/20 05:51
Re: Metra Sues UP for Breach of Contract
Author: Drknow

C&NW took pride in running Chicago commuter service, and made some money at it too. The current provider just wants Govt. money for track work and the passenger service to go away. It’s not in their PSR playbook, even if it makes money.

Posted from iPhone



Date: 10/15/20 10:25
Re: Metra Sues UP for Breach of Contract
Author: twropr

I don't understand what GM Derwinski is saying when he charges that conductors are not being deployed on Metra trains operated by UP.
Is he alledging that the conductors are not RIDING the trains, or that they are but not collecting fares/tickets?
What is the staffing/ticket collection at origin stations such as the Northwestern Station (or whatever the former C&NW station in Chicago is named today) that he is referring to and why would costs exceed the revenues collected?
Andy



Date: 10/15/20 16:18
Re: Metra Sues UP for Breach of Contract
Author: kevink

twropr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't understand what GM Derwinski is saying
> when he charges that conductors are not being
> deployed on Metra trains operated by UP.
> Is he alledging that the conductors are not RIDING
> the trains, or that they are but not collecting
> fares/tickets?

At some point this past spring, UP refused to let conductors walk the aisles to collect fares and check tickets. In addition to lost revenue, Metra riders have reported feeling less secure during rides when no train crew is visible. 

twropr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What is the staffing/ticket collection at origin
> stations such as the Northwestern Station (or
> whatever the former C&NW station in Chicago is
> named today) that he is referring to and why would
> costs exceed the revenues collected?

Basically, all passengers must show a valid ticket before they can access the platforms at Ogilvie Transportation Center.



Date: 10/15/20 19:28
Re: Metra Sues UP for Breach of Contract
Author: TAW

Drknow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> C&NW took pride in running Chicago commuter
> service,

Pride is so 20th Century, and early/mid 20th Century at that.

TAW



Date: 10/15/20 20:41
Re: Metra Sues UP for Breach of Contract
Author: filmteknik

Would it be that terrible if Metra did crew the trains and shops? They staff all the other lines but BNSF, right? (Not certain about Heritage.) Would it cost more than what they pay UP? If so that implies underpaying UP.

Posted from iPhone



Date: 10/16/20 05:39
Re: Metra Sues UP for Breach of Contract
Author: Englewood

filmteknik Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Would it be that terrible if Metra did crew the
> trains and shops? They staff all the other lines
> but BNSF, right? (Not certain about Heritage.)
> Would it cost more than what they pay UP? If so
> that implies underpaying UP.
>
> Posted from iPhone

I believe you have asked the question Metra does not want to answer.

Metra UP service is operated under a purchase of service agreement.
UP charges Metra for the costs of operating the trains.
That should include crews, maintenance of track in proportion to its use
by Metra, maintenance of rolling stock, etc.  In short, UP should be made whole
of all the expenses it would not have if the Metra trains disappeared.

So how can the purchase of service cost be that much different than if Metra
took the service over?

The answer will make one of the parties look bad.

Is UP so incompetent at contract negotiations that it has been
giving the store away for years?
or
Is Metra so incompetent at managing that there is no way it could run the
operation as efficiently as the UP?

Inquiring minds want to know !!!!!!



Date: 10/16/20 07:06
Re: Metra Sues UP for Breach of Contract
Author: RRTom

I rode GoTransit in Toronto for a few years.  10-car double deck cars packed to the gills, with one contracted employee in a golf shirt ("Ambassador" or something like that) in the middle of the train making announcements about doors opening; that's all they did.  At the end of the run in the suburbs, one of these employees used to be in her car in the parking lot before some of the passengers were.  Often wondered what would happen if there was some kind of incident.



[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0606 seconds