Home Open Account Help 283 users online

Passenger Trains > FL: BrightLine considering alternatives for re-opening

Date: 10/19/20 20:04
FL: BrightLine considering alternatives for re-opening
Author: Lackawanna484

Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel reporter  David Lyons sums up the current situation with BrightLine.  Re-opening the higher speed train line's existing route is important to the business community, and to the all important real estate developers. But, so many professional workers are stilll working for home that there may not be enough traffic to support even the former low level of ridership.

Whether BrightLine re-opens with the cruise lines, whenever that happens, or with the revival of downtown offices, or with the completion of the Orlando extension, nobody really knows. Maybe not even the BrightLine management.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronavirus/fl-ne-coronavirus-brightline-weighs-service-resumption-20200930-mra764bogfestpnymvajoyzcqm-story.html

Date: 10/20/20 04:47
Re: FL: BrightLine considering alternatives for re-opening
Author: mp51w

I don't know why they couldn't at least run a couple of trains a day right now!

Date: 10/20/20 05:35
Author: gbmott

mp51w Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't know why they couldn't at least run a
> couple of trains a day right now!

The most expensive train to run is the first one as that requires activating all the support activities -- at least minimum numbers of station personnel, shop forces, T&E crews, etc.  Unless the demand is there for something approaching their historic level of service they are much better off financially by being totally shut down.  Remember, this is a privately-owned commercial venture.

Gordon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/20 05:37 by gbmott.

Date: 10/20/20 06:29

Yes.  The article mentions that BrightLine has laid off about 560 employees, and is currently operating with a skeleton staff.

Date: 10/20/20 06:35
Author: ts1457

I wonder how the lack of trains is affecting its real estate play?

Mt gut reaction is to have a grand reopening when the Orlando extension is finished.

Date: 10/20/20 06:43
Author: goneon66

how is the ridership on tri-rail?

Date: 10/20/20 06:51
Author: joemvcnj

What is the competing auto traffic like ? 

Date: 10/20/20 07:12

Highway traffic on I-95 is noticeably lighter, to me, in rush hours.  I've driven down to both Miami and Fort Lauderdale in the past few weeks. That "executive commuting" is a core component of the BrightLine traffic mix.

Tri-Rail began collecting fares and increasing service last month. This week marked the 75% level of restoration, although the parking lot at Mangonia Park was quite empty when I went by last week.  Maybe 20% of pre-Covid volume.

For what it's worth, I think parts of the service economy like restaurants, bars, grocery stores, some malls, etc are starting to come back. But hotels, office buildings, parking garages, etc are not. Two hotels in West Palm Beach had just a sprinkling of lights in the upper floors at 9 pm during the week.  Tri-Rail gets a lot of volume from airport employees, cargo service staff, etc and that  business just hasn't materialized.

Date: 10/20/20 07:23
Author: goneon66

thanks for the info.  any comeback is a welcome start.

i have seen a few videos of brightline.  i hope the demand for their services increases SOON as that would bode well for our economy ..........

Date: 10/20/20 08:30
Author: abyler

joemvcnj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What is the competing auto traffic like ? 

Probably only down 5-10%

Date: 10/21/20 17:08
Author: chrsjrcj

Last I heard, Brightline didn’t expect to be PTC compliant until early next year.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0462 seconds