Home Open Account Help 268 users online

Passenger Trains > Beech Grove drive by report

Date: 10/25/20 20:30
Beech Grove drive by report
Author: ST214

Hello all,

Was in the area and drove past Beech Grove today. Not really anything to photograph, but a few observations. Frist, outfront were a few units sitting by themselves, only one I could get a number on was 822. The others were on seperate tracks, but I could not get numbers. One of them looked like it was freshly painted, but it was way back by the building, not up near the road. There was a LONG line of carcasses headed up by 128. Also out front were several Superliner cars that did not appear damaged, moved there for storage perhaps??? In addition, one of the Talgo sets was out front, boy did it get tagged along it's trip from the pacific northwest!

On the side of the building was another Talgo set and yet more Superliners, a Surfliner car, and a few Viewliner baggage cars. None of these Superliners appeared damaged either. Also sitting all alone by itself was former Pacific Parlour car "Sonoma Valley".

Way out in the back was the usual derelict equipment, old baggage cars, wrecked cars, and.......more Viewliners. Visible were a few bags and a few diners. There were more further down, appeared to be sleepers. It looks like Beech Grove is being used for car storage. Some of the old baggage cars had various reporting marks on them. There was also another string of 4 Superliners, no obvious damage to them, but the wheels were very rusty, so they have been there for awhile. 

Date: 10/25/20 21:27
Re: Beech Grove drive by report
Author: You999

The Talgo set (MT oly IIRC) got tagged while it was in storage at seattle

Date: 10/26/20 07:42
Author: ST214

Ah, I figured it happened along the way. I was unable to tell which set it was. 

You999 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Talgo set (MT oly IIRC) got tagged while it
> was in storage at seattle

Date: 10/26/20 12:39
Author: Pioneer2526

Was the Sonoma Valley Sold ?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/26/20 15:51
Author: MEKoch

Since Amtrak is getting out of the Long Distance passenger business, the days of Beech Grove itself may be numbered.  Amtrak has never repaired wrecked Superliner cars, unless the damage was very superficial.  They left all other Superliners sit there and rust, but most all of them were repairable (yes, expensive, but repairable).  

The P-40s, which could have been nicely rebuilt by GE-Wabtec, were left to rust and rot also.  A few were sold to Connecticutt and are serving well.  

The attitude of the workers at Beech Grove has to be totally demoralized.  So sad to see a company fritter away every opportunity to become viable in long distance service.  

Date: 10/26/20 20:14
Author: ProAmtrak

MEKoch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Since Amtrak is getting out of the Long Distance
> passenger business, the days of Beech Grove itself
> may be numbered.  Amtrak has never repaired
> wrecked Superliner cars, unless the damage was
> very superficial.  They left all other
> Superliners sit there and rust, but most all of
> them were repairable (yes, expensive, but
> repairable).  
>
> The P-40s, which could have been nicely rebuilt by
> GE-Wabtec, were left to rust and rot also.  A few
> were sold to Connecticutt and are serving
> well.  
>
> The attitude of the workers at Beech Grove has to
> be totally demoralized.  So sad to see a company
> fritter away every opportunity to become viable in
> long distance service.  

OK I will ask you this, besides Gardner's claim on them supposedly draining the NEC, wheres your proof that they're doing that if Flynn seems more optimistic on the future compared to now!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/20 19:01 by ProAmtrak.

Date: 10/26/20 20:49
Author: AmHog

I drove by Beech Grove shops today. Got a tie crew doing a lot of work in the yard. Much over-due maintenence. The rumors of shutting the Grove down have been happening forever. Amtrak keeps investing in it. Don't bet against Beech Grove.

Date: 10/27/20 14:33
Author: Topfuel

They're rebuilding many of the old yard tracks as we speak - which has been in the budget for a while - but that work is being expeditted due to the need for track space to store in-service cars during the big ridership slowdown.

Date: 10/27/20 15:36
Author: jp1822

I do hope Amtrak is careful with storing its passenger cars. 

And most importantly, if Amtrak has the opportunity to capture the high end "private room" revenue (aka Sleeper Car Revenue), they should be positioned to go after it, as that is positioned as the "safest accommodation" on a given train (as long as various COVID cleaning standards are adhered to.  

Amtrak should be offering a Viewliner Sleeper available on the overnight NEC train - #65, 66, 67. Lack of supply WAS the problem, what's the problem now, as I haven't seen the Viewliners restored on this train yet. Even for the long distance day trains like the Palmetto (operating tri-weekly now), Carolinian, Pennsylvanian, Maple Leaf, etc. - should they perhaps carry a car that offers "private rooms." I think people are going to travel - for whatever reason. Should we at least allow them the option to travel a bit safer with the option of a "private room?" I like that Amtrak calls former sleeper space - "private rooms" as it lets people know there's a broader use. Hopefully Amtrak will use them - not allow them to just rot on the side line tracks - or allow bookings and come up with some creative solutions.

Maybe during COVID, Amtrak should look at different consists for different trains - be it for the tri-weekly trains or daily corridor trains - using that equipment they have freed up due to lessening schedules. It could help alter there revenue, as people may not find coach seating attractive - just like the middle seat is not attractive on trains. Amtrak has some opportunities due to its varied equipment - could some of it be used favorably in the present time, as I don't think you are totally going to halt Americans from travelling, unless we shut down the country once again.  

Storing equipment could save costs, but using different equipment for other alternatives could actually help Amtrak. Throughout history and different times in history - passenger cars had to transform to satisfy different demands that came up. Is Amtrak being flexible enough? 

Guess we will see, with what mounts up in Beech Grove, and what Amtrak puts on the rails. Doing the same old same old - is not being creative, innovative, or helpful. 

Date: 10/29/20 14:36
Author: New773

I swung by Beech Grove a month ago. There were two Amtrak Pacific Parlour cars 39974 Sonoma Valley (former Santa Fe car 579) and 39973 Santa Lucia Highlands (former Santa Fe 578). Of course the dumpster has to be RIGHT there. Also, the day I was there they had two rebuilt Superliner cars out after looking like they had been rebuilt.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0512 seconds