Home Open Account Help 253 users online

Passenger Trains > Operations at DC Union Station

Date: 11/21/01 09:15
Operations at DC Union Station
Author: blair

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A63375-2001Nov21.html

>>
Amtrak is expecting to carry more than a half million passengers through the weekend and 75,000 seats are being added to handle increased demand, according to Amtrak spokeswoman Karina Van Veen. Amtrak is requiring passengers traveling on eastern routes to have advanced reservations. Those without tickets are not being allowed on boarding platforms.

Some changes at Union Station are also evident. There are more guards walking the corridors and temporary lockers have been removed. Passengers over 18 are required to show a photo ID but younger children traveling with family members are having no problems boarding their trains.
<<

Date: 11/21/01 19:09
RE: Operations at DC Union Station
Author: Lackawanna484

I guess security levels differ in various places.

Nobody checked access to platforms at MetroPark, NJ on Wednesday. Nobody checked tix before boarding on Amtrak or NJT, only on Acela express. Two of AX had stuck doors, so the dwell time was significant (good for pix taking). The AX are still carying their onboard techs, one guy showed up with a screwdriver to check out the door. I heard one ATK conductor tell another not to punch tickets for standees, they'd just complain and get a voucher, so save the paperwork.

Just in case, I bought a r/t to Rahway (one stop east) and one to Metuchen but nobody challenged me in six hours. So, NJT keeps my $3

I'll put up a separate report when I sort out the operations and power, but it looked like NJT and Amtrak did a fine job today.

Date: 11/21/01 19:35
RE: Operations at DC Union Station
Author: blair

Lackawanna484 wrote:
>
> I heard one ATK conductor
> tell another not to punch tickets for standees, they'd just
> complain and get a voucher, so save the paperwork.

Clever.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0401 seconds