Home Open Account Help 252 users online

Passenger Trains > NEC BONANZA...

Date: 11/21/01 09:15
NEC BONANZA...
Author: CharlieA.

If observations this morning of Amtrak's NEC Holiday operations... from public property, is any clue, this year should provide some interesting combinations both in equipment and volume.

3 South bounds and 2 north bounds were scheduled through Philadelphia between 8:00 - 9:30 AM according to the Holiday Schedule. More than double that number passed my vantage point... mostly north bound toward NYP. Five AX' sets past in lieu of the scheduled three, HHP-8's abounded in northbound traffic with two "extra's"... probably balancing equipment, whizzing by with 15 cars each.

A late #98 passed in two sections separated by 15 minutes. The "rear" section passed first with exclusive Amfleet equipment and numerous MHC's tacked on the rear. Interesting was the motive power, a pair of back to back 800's pulling an HHP-8 with "pan-up". The Genesis units were dropped at Phillie and headed back south "light". The second section... which is typically on the "head end" of the Silver Meteor with 3 "viewliners" et al, followed with a single HHP-8.

Most trains were between 15-25 minutes behind the mark with the Vermonter very close to schedule. I can only image what this afternoon will bring when the real "traffic crunch" starts.

Date: 11/21/01 09:37
RE: NEC BONANZA...
Author: jachoochoo

The "rear" section of"98" sounds more like #190 running late.
I don't think 98 carries express.

Date: 11/21/01 09:56
RE: NEC BONANZA... (#98)
Author: jack_deasy

I would be surprised if 98 was split into two sections.

That could imply that the diner went with the sleepers, while the lounge car went with the coach section.

I know that 97 carries a Miami mail car, but that doesn't mean 98 does likewise.

Date: 11/21/01 10:14
RE: NEC BONANZA...

I see your points... but, #190 would have been way off the mark since its due in Phillie around 5:00 AM. Since I usually pass #190 on the way to work each morning, I did note its usual presence on the way to NYP this morning. Possibly #180 which usually does not carry MHC's since its terminates at New York?

Watching the shear volume today... is quite unusual from past years. Even SEPTA is mixing its old "Budd's" with Silverliner III's from GE... a very rare occurance. It won't surprise me if during the weekend we see a pair of AX's coupled to balance equipment. If MARC's 4911 shows up in service then we'll all know that this year is "special"... the volume today almost reminds me of the days when PRR operated 20-30 specials to the ARMY-NAVY Football game.

Date: 11/21/01 10:20
It was a late #190
Author: SilverSky

#190 had engine problems near Baltimore. It showed into Philly at 851am and out at 948am.

Date: 11/21/01 11:41
Here's the real deal.
Author: brfriedm

Taken just hours ago!

brfriedm

Date: 11/21/01 11:42
RE: Here's the real deal.

HHP-8 online and pulling hard.

brfriedm

Date: 11/21/01 11:44

Light power returns southbound.

brfriedm

Date: 11/21/01 11:57
A question
Author: Caltrain_Condr

So apparently diesel-electrics and electrics can be MU'd. I did not know this was possible. How often does it actually happen?

Date: 11/21/01 12:03
Author: chaohwa

Bruce,

Where did you take the photos?

Chaohwa

Date: 11/21/01 12:29
Author: ellissimon

Great shots! imagine if there was a webcam on the NEC. I'd never get any work done. <G>

Date: 11/21/01 12:46
RE: NEC BONANZA... (#98)

Thanks to all for the inputs... especially brfiedm! Milepost 30 locates south of Wilmington Delaware at RAGAN Interlocking which is controlled by CETC-4. BRF must have spent a very long morning on the NEC since the northbound trip probably passed MP 30 around 7:30/45 AM with the light engine move returning close to 10:00 AM. In any event GREAT SHOTS!

Date: 11/21/01 13:41
Here's a few more from today.

enjoy.

brfriedm

Date: 11/21/01 13:42
RE: Here's a few more from today.

Conrail breaks up the action.

Date: 11/21/01 13:43

red white and blue meatballs. I like them the best.

Date: 11/21/01 13:44

Septa gets into the game.

Date: 11/21/01 13:49
Author: chaohwa

Bruce,

I am interested in Trainset #19 (Power Cars 2021-2024). When did you take that shot? Because in that way I will know the train number and try to track it down tomorrow.

Chaohwa

Date: 11/21/01 14:05

Here's the next frame of the train. Which gives you a better shot.

Train is # 2180. Northbound. Train was shot at 8:32am today and was due to depart Wilmington station at 8:35am.

If you send me your real email. I will email you a large digital shot of this unit.

brfriedm

Date: 11/22/01 07:36
Author: NECJerry

Nice pics! Pics taken at or near Newark SEPTA station near Delaware Park race track?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0593 seconds