Home Open Account Help 274 users online

Passenger Trains > MARC AEM-7's

Date: 11/21/01 19:54
MARC AEM-7's
Author: ST214

Now i know they are going to Amtrak, but will Amtrak sell them off, like to the MBTA or another agency, or will they keep them? If they are keeping them, what will be the unit #'s??

Date: 11/21/01 20:23
RE: MARC AEM-7's
Author: NECJerry

Amtrak could use all the AM-7s it needs.
Rumors at work that Amtrak will convert to Alstom A/C drives when delivered.
First I heard that MARC was selling Amtrak AM-7units.
We had heard that Amtrak was going to possibly convert some AM-7 locos for MARC.

Date: 11/22/01 06:00
Author: lakeshorelimited

ST214 wrote:
>
> Now i know they are going to Amtrak, but will Amtrak sell them
> off, like to the MBTA or another agency, or will they keep
> them? If they are keeping them, what will be the unit #'s??

I think those would look cool in MBTA paint!

Date: 11/22/01 07:18
Author: Bengt

How much will it cost to rebuild the engines to AC?
A new loco as the Bombardier-built DB type 185 cost 3 milj Euro(about the same in dollars).

Date: 11/22/01 08:34
Author: abyler

NECJerry wrote:
>
> Amtrak could use all the AM-7s it needs.
> Rumors at work that Amtrak will convert to Alstom A/C drives
> when delivered.

Why in h-e-double hockey sticks does Amtrak "need" more AEM-7's?

The present schedule and internal Amtrak operations planning memos, including the remaining 8 Metroliner trainsets, requires 33 AEM-7's and 8 E60's per day for operations. Amtrak has 52 AEM-7's, 11 E60's, and 15 HHP-8's. By my reckoning, that is 37 spare units to 41 in use. Once the Acela's are fully phased in, Amtrak will only need 25 AEM-7's and 8 E60's per day unless electric operation returns to Harrisburg, which would require another 4 units.

Now admittedly, some engines are needed for "protect" service, some for yard work, and some are in the shops some times. Nevertheless, there is hardly a need for 4 more units when Amtrak already has a 50% spare ratio. Even retiring all the E60's will only change the future spare ratio, including reelectrifying Harrisburg trains, and reextending electric service on the Cresecent and Silver Palm and Star to Wahsington to 40 of 67, or a 40% spare ratio.

Somebody needs to explain all these capital assets sitting around gathering dust.

Date: 11/22/01 17:02
Author: NECJerry

It costs about 1.5 million to rebuild and convert to AC drive.That should be good for another 20 years at least.Total of 22 AM-7s scheduled for this fiscal year and 22 more scheduled for 2003 fiscal year.

As for the need I can tell you that as soon as AM-7s locos are serviced they are out the door and back into service.No extras laying around Wilm loco shop.
I see on previous posts this holiday weekend Amtrak borrows other locos and cars from other transit services to run extra consists.

You can never have too many it seems.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0451 seconds