Home Open Account Help 347 users online

Passenger Trains > Private Rail Cars Get a Boost from Forbes?

Date: 12/30/20 14:59
Private Rail Cars Get a Boost from Forbes?
Author: jp1822

Did anyone else see this article? It's recently be re-circulated in wider forums. This was in Forbes. The article is geared for the “high-end” traveler, but it also begged the more creative question – is there any opportunity for  Amtrak to adapt, help, or offer something……

For the record, I am not sure what to think.... This has been talked about before - and the article even says as much (the Pullman Company etc. is referenced). 

If trains are to remain on tri-weekly schedules, there’s surplus Amtrak equipment – some new, some old, some unique, some not so unique. Can Amtrak truly create an "experiential passenger rail department" that operates directly as a profit? That's the ONLY way I could see this ever being "accepted."    

"Private Rail Cars Will Soon Become The Ultimate Social Distancing Escape"

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimdobson/2020/05/29/private-rail-cars-will-soon-become-the-ultimate-social-distancing-escape/?fbclid=IwAR3OX6P1bz-b82TCrDcii8jh6lnHRZ7AON-EKruTocT2eTlandVkgz1dh8I&sh=33f3648c1f4b

Of Interest:
  • A new resurgence of the Golden Age is on the horizon as interest in private rail travel in a post-pandemic world is increasing. More than pure elegance, travelers can take extraordinary voyages all in the lap of luxury. The privacy and social distancing allowed within your private rail car could soon become the ultimate luxurious adventure.
  • Amtrak recently welcomed a new CEO, and owners of private rail cars are hopeful that the new management will ease some recent obstacles to increasing their hitching to Amtrak trains on regular routes.

Maybe in a toned down manner - could be said that the "private room" experience will soon become the ultimate social distancing escape? VIA kinda did this with its Prestige Class.......and it helped reduce the Canadian's overall loss! Not sure.........

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/20 15:07 by jp1822.

Date: 12/30/20 15:50
Re: Private Rail Cars Get a Boost from Forbes?
Author: joemvcnj

Amtrak is limiting sleeper car consists on tri-weekly trains allegedly because they don't want to pay for the attendant, and resulting yield managed accommodation charges are outrageous (with terrible food service included). But then every 2 LD coaches gets an attendant too. Sleeping cars normally can yield 2 - 3 times the revenue of LD coach, and probably better than that now since they do not have to limit occupancy to 50% as they do for coaches.  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/20 15:54 by joemvcnj.

Date: 12/31/20 09:24
Author: WP-M2051

Amtrak hasn't changed any of their policies towards PVs so I don't think this article means anything.  They have allowed access to Oakland but a roundtrip switch, on and off, is over $4000.  The mileage rate is close to $4.00, monthly parking $2000 - the list is endless.  My group threw in the towel and put our car up for sale.  You're going to see only the Patron Tequilal types out there now.

Date: 12/31/20 10:10
Author: jp1822

WP-M2051 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Amtrak hasn't changed any of their policies
> towards PVs so I don't think this article means
> anything.  They have allowed access to Oakland
> but a roundtrip switch, on and off, is over $4000.
>  The mileage rate is close to $4.00, monthly
> parking $2000 - the list is endless.  My group
> threw in the towel and put our car up for sale.
>  You're going to see only the Patron Tequilal
> types out there now.

The article mentions exactly what you state above, but then author comments there's only a future if new Amtrak management will loosen things up to effectively "gain" this revenue back and serve a potential growing market. Author is trying to be "hopeful." If there's any weight to the article, does Amtrak try to create a more "higher end sleeper class product?" 

Date: 12/31/20 14:20
Author: MojaveBill

Most folks in this class fly... There are many more business aircraft owned, leased, etc., than private rail cars...
We get them at the Mojave Air & Spaceport all the time including folks like Warren Buffet who has business investments at the airport and in the area.

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 12/31/20 21:13
Author: cchan006

MojaveBill Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We get them at the Mojave Air & Spaceport all the
> time including folks like Warren Buffet who has
> business investments at the airport and in the
> area.

Specifically, Kern River Gas Company's pipeline reaches Bakersfield via Mojave. It's part of Berkshire Hathaway Energy (BHE). Berkshire Hathaway also owns NetJets, a "timeshare" for corporate jets. Should be no surprise Warren Buffett shows up in the area. I have doubts he has actually invested in the airport.

Date: 01/01/21 07:31
Author: garr29

Story on Private Varnish (PV) sounds good and briefs well if you are outside the USA.  The alleged leadership at amtrak began a very calculated dissassembly of PV opportunities in the USA that heretofore operated predominately on the amtrak system.  Since Jan of 2018, two successive former airline CEOs have colluded to destroy PV operations as they were known.  The first one wanted to get rid of the so called "fat cat car owners" interestingly enough they are essentially all that can continue to run because of the outrageous rate increases, the significant reductions of access points, elimination of traveling on off amtrak routes, parking at locations such as WAS, placement of the cars first out behind the power (guests get to listen to the horns and the up and down of the power and of course the air compressor all night) of course the current triweekly schedules do nothing for flexibility of scheduling an enchanting trip.  Tragically many car owners have sold, mothballed their cars or donated them to short lines or tourist railroads.  While amtrak's beer can type cars will never look like those of the foreign high end  luxury trains, there may still be a glimmer of hope, albeit fading by the day, that amtrak may have an awakening. I hope so. 

Date: 01/02/21 00:28
Author: aronco

The article is very sketchy - I can't imagine anyone reading it and even thinking about chartering an American private car.  All the p[ictures and descriptions are of european and Canadian operations.  I am deeply disappointed again.

Norm

Norman Orfall
Helendale, CA
TIOGA PASS, a private railcar

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.4276 seconds