Home Open Account Help 311 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak to run overnight sleeper cars between Boston and Washingto

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 03/06/21 05:25
Amtrak to run overnight sleeper cars between Boston and Washingto
Author: choodude

Amtrak to run overnight sleeper cars between Boston and Washington for first time since 2003

Amtrak Richard, we actually have some exciting news. Beginning April 5th, we will reintroduce private rooms on overnight Northeast Regional Trains 65 (Friday and Saturday) Train 66 (Daily) and Train 67 (Sunday - Thursday) between Washington and Boston. The private rooms will not be offered south of Washington into Virginia. This Sleeping Car launch represents the first time this service has been available since 2003 between Boston and Washington, DC.

From:  https://www.facebook.com/Amtrak/photos/a.278157009013/10158922968849014/?comment_id=10158923107719014&reply_comment_id=10158923300809014

Scroll donw to find the post.

Brian

Date: 03/06/21 06:14
Re: Amtrak to run overnight sleeper cars between Boston and Washi
Author: joemvcnj

Well, someone in management is thinking the right thoughts and looking for new revenue opportunities and markets. Pets on Acela is nice, but shows there is no longer enough business travel to justify Acela, even 3 or 4 frequencies a day. 

They probably have to cut the sleeper car off south of Washington for service, though it means it will be at the front of the train. However, there are no grade-crossings south of New Haven. It may also be a mechanism to get the Lake Shore Ltd's Boston sleeper circulated out of that cycle. 

I forgot if it has a baggage car, so that will probably have to be in the rear. 

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/21 06:50 by joemvcnj.

Date: 03/06/21 06:28
Author: ronald321

I think it's wise if we not believe this story until Amtrak officially announces
it in the Media and on their website.

It seems odd that Amtrak would reveal a major service expansion like this
in an answer to an individual question on Facebook.

Date: 03/06/21 06:30

Probably because it is not yet programmed in the reservation system. 

Date: 03/06/21 07:45
Author: PRSL-recall

joemvcnj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> I forgot if it has a baggage car, so that will
> probably have to be in the rear. 

The last I knew, back when decent timetables were available, these trains were the only ones running the entire Boston - Washington route which were carrying baggage cars. Now it seems the only way to really find out if still available is to go through the silly exercise of pretending to make a reservation.  I haven't done this right now. Furthermore, assuming they are still on I believe they are providing the only checked baggage service in and out of Boston since in their infinite wisdom removed the Lake Shore Limited Boston section baggage car.

Date: 03/06/21 09:02
Author: amtrakbill

Great news

The revival of the night owl!

Is there room at Penn station to drop a sleeper off for Washington to New York and Boston to New York service? Now I’m getting crazy.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/06/21 09:25
Author: jp1822

So first, happy to hear about any return of any sleeper service to any Amtrak train. It's a good thing that this option is finally being returned to the NEC - offering the option of a private room. So, happy about service restoration, and I hope this announcement is valid (not available for booking yet via Amtrak.com). Likewise, not trying to be negative but I did prefer when they kept the sleeper on and ran it out to the Tidewater Region of Virginia. This train did garner a decent amount of travellers from Richmond and even Williamsburg (and if "leisure travellers" are to be part of Amtrak's targeted market now, Williamsburg would have been nice to have been served with sleeper in tow). However, I doubt they'd be able to "service" the sleeper in Newport News. So, hence the "drop" in Washington DC - understandable. 

We've seen many iterations of overnight sleeper car service on the NEC - The Night Owl, The Federal, The Twilight Shoreliner, etc. The Executive Sleeper that was added/subtracted at NYP (NYP to BOS or NYP to WAS) doesn't make sense in current times. 

Date: 03/06/21 10:42
Author: abyler

joemvcnj Wrote:
> Well, someone in management is thinking the right
> thoughts and looking for new revenue opportunities
> and markets. Pets on Acela is nice, but shows
> there is no longer enough business travel to
> justify Acela, even 3 or 4 frequencies a day. 

That isn't true.  The Acela's are getting more full by my view from riding.  Businesses need to end their employee travel restrictions, which they only have to shield themselves from liability.

> They probably have to cut the sleeper car off
> south of Washington for service, though it means
> it will be at the front of the train. However,
> there are no grade-crossings south of New Haven.
> It may also be a mechanism to get the Lake Shore
> Ltd's Boston sleeper circulated out of that
> cycle.

The Facebook post says its going to operate to Virginia.  No car shuffling.

Date: 03/06/21 11:24
Author: Lackawanna484

If the Acela is getting more full, that's great news.

Posted from Android

Date: 03/06/21 13:11
Author: mundo

I do not read that the sleeper would be dropped in DC. May have to wait for the first consists to what they do.
Car could just remain in consist, saving the cost of an attendant dropping at DC.
Boston can service the car and swap out with the Boston Lake Shore if necessary.

Once more rail travel gets underway,  Richmond, Williamsburg, Newport should see some ridership. But may not cover the cost of an attendent.

Date: 03/06/21 14:52
Author: ProAmtrak

I don't get you Ronald, its a news source and you're not buying it, that really blows my mind since you're a strong supporter of Amtrak!

Date: 03/06/21 16:25

It will probably be cheaper per mile to buy than on a LD train. There is no dining car accounting to hide on the Night Owl. 

Date: 03/06/21 16:31

ProAmtrak

Yes, I am a big supporter -- and nothing would thrill me more than have sleepers return to Wash-Boston.

I'm sure every trainfan on this site also share these feelings with me.

I am just a little suspicious that this news would be released in this fashion--that's all.   

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/21 17:20 by ronald321.

Date: 03/06/21 17:36
Author: another_view

An absolute joke, it's not 1950, another waste of time, energy, and money.  Even Boardman wasn't dumb enough to support this, Gunn did so just to satisfy one of his rail fan staff members and it failed miserably.

Date: 03/06/21 18:11

another_view

How can you be sure it will be an "absolute joke"--before this experiment even begins?  Just taking a wild guess, I presume.

After all, it doesn't  cost much to hang a car on the end of an existing train.  A cheep way to determine if there is a market.

If it fails -- so be it.  At least they tested the market -- and it won't cost much, and there are brand new sleepers stored in the Florida weeds.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/21 18:55 by ronald321.

Date: 03/06/21 19:10
Author: dwatry

I would think the Virginia market might be what could fill the sleepers. 

Date: 03/06/21 19:28
Author: DavidP

another_view Wrote:
> An absolute joke, it's not 1950, another waste of
> time, energy, and money.  Even Boardman wasn't
> dumb enough to support this, Gunn did so just to
> satisfy one of his rail fan staff members and it
> failed miserably.

A_V - you seem to have some inside knowledge.  Do you know the incremental cost of operating a sleeper on this route?  Given that Amtrak will have a surplus of Viewliners when all of the new cars are in service, the avoidable cost would largely be labor and supplies such as bedding.  So if the new service generated sufficient revenue to cover incremental cost, it should be considered successful.  What's a reasonable estimate as to incremental revenue from new ridership plus upsell on existing fares?  Is $5k per trip reasonable?  Your perspective on this would be interesting if you would care to share it.

Thanks,

Dave

Date: 03/06/21 21:21
Author: KansasCityChief

Over night trains Europe are becoming proper again .Nightjet for example run the the Austria federal railway

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/06/21 21:34
Author: pdt

another_view Wrote:
> failed miserably.

You are just too much.  Instant ROI is the only justification for anything?   Are you  there demanding that the air traffic control system be shut down if it doesnt turn a profit.  And i guess we should stop maintaining any roads that dont pay for themselves.   Just tell me that "thst's different"  yea right.  Save us you constantly negative blabber.  Do grumpy old men ever figure out that no one wants to be around them, other than other grumpy old men.

Date: 03/06/21 21:39
Author: RuleG

another_view Wrote:
> failed miserably.

Why are you bringing David Gunn into this?  As early as 1972, well before Gunn came to Amtrak, the Night Owl began operating with sleeping car service.

Along with several others in this thread, I think it's a great idea.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.199 seconds