Home Open Account Help 305 users online

Passenger Trains > Foothill Gold Line extension - construction in Glendora, CA

Date: 03/29/21 21:00
Foothill Gold Line extension - construction in Glendora, CA
Author: casco17

Here are some pics of the Glendora area, showing Foothill Gold Line extension construction, all from 3-28-2021.  (This was the BNSF Pasadena Subdivision, and befoire that the AT&SF Second Subdivision in years past).
A two-track light rail line and parallel freight-only track are being constructed, replacing a single track line of jointed rail. 

1. Facing east at Barranca Ave.
2. Facing east at Glendora Ave.
3. Facing east at Glenwood Ave.

continued...

Date: 03/29/21 21:09
Re: Foothill Gold Line extension - construction in Glendora, CA
Author: casco17

4. 1929 girder bridge over Alosta Ave. (Historic US 66), facing east.  Further west, the Gold Line extension to Azusa retained and adapted several girder bridges dating back to AT&SF days; I don't know the plans for this bridge.
5. Gladstone St. crossing, facing southeast into San Dimas.

Thanks for looking.

Date: 03/29/21 21:29
Author: IC_2024

The fact that they retained some of those old ATSF girders bridges is certainly testimony to how well they were built-- basically, to last forever.
Excellent coverage for what is certainly a rather bittersweet thing to see given all the great memories of the ATSF Rwy and riding Amtrak through here, too.  Tempus fugit!

Date: 03/29/21 22:52
Author: PHall

rgzfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah, it's kind of sad to see the route of the
> Chief turned into light rail. I think the most
> impressive part of the line is the heavy steel
> bridge over the Pasadena Freeway. That bridge
> could hold up anything, but in retirement all it's
> being asked to do is hold up a little toy
> trolley.
>

And they converted it to double track when they rebuilt it for the Gold Line.

> IC_2024 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The fact that they retained some of those old
> ATSF
> > girders bridges is certainly testimony to how
> well
> > they were built-- basically, to last forever.
> > Excellent coverage for what is certainly a
> rather
> > bittersweet thing to see given all the great
> > memories of the ATSF Rwy and riding Amtrak
> through
> > here, too.  Tempus fugit!

Date: 03/30/21 06:21
Author: PasadenaSub

Nice pics, looks like we missed each other by a day shooting the construction in Glendora.

Rich

Date: 03/30/21 08:15
Author: Latebeans

I would not describe the former Santa Fe bridge over the Pasadena Freeway as being retired.  It is handling far more traffic now than in its last days as an intercity rail line, even if the trains are just "toy" trolleys.  Amtrak also still has a first class right-of-way into Los Angeles.  It is a little sad that the big train no longer stops at the beautiful old Pasadena depot, the one where I got off the The Chief in 1961 on my first trip to California. I would still consider this a win-win, especially in light of so many lose-lose deals we have suffered.

Date: 04/02/21 02:22
Author: DNRY122

The inbound Gold Line track crosses Barranca just about where the Pacific Electric line to Glendora did until the 1950s.  Although passenger service ended in 1951, the track remained in service for diesel powered freight for several more years.

Regarding those who dismiss the light rail operation as "toy trains", up until a year ago, Metro was running 3-car trains all day long on weekdays, on 7 to 12 minute headways.  That's no "Toonerville Trolley"!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0629 seconds