Home Open Account Help 355 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak hits “item” near Omaha

Date: 04/18/21 15:05
Amtrak hits “item” near Omaha
Author: Copy19

Omaha NBC affiliate WOWT reported this morning that a "fully-loaded" Amtrak passenger train struck an unknown sharp object near the track this morning  in Bellevue, NE shortly after 12:30 a.m.   The Bellevue Police Department was called to the scene.  There were no injuries and minor damage to the train.  The train reportedly was able to proceed to its next stop, Omaha.

There was no detail on the "item".

I assume the train was No. 5, the westbound California Zephyr.   Bellevue is a suburb just south of Omaha.  The train would have been on BNSF.

JB - Omaha

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/21 15:17 by Copy19.

Date: 04/18/21 15:23
Re: Amtrak hits “item” near Omaha
Author: brc600

Date: 04/18/21 16:56
Author: fulham

I was on the train.  We were proceding north into Omaha when the train went into emergency.  I did not feel anything when we struck the object but the train sure stopped quickly.  I did not see anything along the tracks... a car/truck, etc., so I thought maybe we had hit a person.  Power came back on and we just sat.  Eventually around 12:30 AM power went off, but then came right back on and we went into Omaha.  I was asleep by then.  I got off the train in Holdrege and the conductor, who got on in Lincoln, said we had hit cinder blocks which had been put across the tracks.  A brake pipe was busted but BNSF personnel helped the Amtrak crew repair the brake pipe and we were on our way.  Could have been a lot worse!

Date: 04/18/21 18:58
Author: goduckies

Wow cinder blocks glad they just broke apart and caused little damage so stupid and dangerous

Posted from Android

Date: 04/18/21 21:57
Author: ProAmtrak

Sounds like certain idiots were behind that!

Posted from Android

Date: 04/21/21 17:42
Author: MaryMcPherson

At least they just put them on the tracks.  Had them bomb us from an overpass and take out the engineer's windshield east of Indy nearly 20 years ago.

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0509 seconds