Home Open Account Help 368 users online

Passenger Trains > El Camino Real

Date: 04/21/21 20:17
El Camino Real
Author: BoilingMan

US 101 from San Diego to the Bay Area follows (more or less) the route of El Camino Real- The Royal Highway.  This was the trail that connected the Spanish Missions in the 17&1800's.  Some time ago the route was commemorated with these Mission Bell markers.  If you've ever driven 101 you've seen them, they're pretty hard to miss!
Anyway..  I've always wanted to work one of these markers into a photo with the Coast Starlight, but could never find one that worked well- until this morning.
This one is alongside the former Ortega Siding near Summerland and pretty much 'fits the bill'.
SR

Date: 04/21/21 20:31
Re: El Camino Real
Author: SoCalCynic

IOTD!

Date: 04/21/21 20:50
Author: MojaveBill

I believe the Women's Clubs of California were responsible for installing those signs.

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 04/22/21 01:40
Author: mp51w

Makes me wish we still had a national timetable to put that picture on the cover!  Dramatic!

Date: 04/22/21 05:29
Author: cutboy1958

Thank  you.  Interesting indeed.

Date: 04/22/21 06:25
Author: atsf121

Great job BoilingMan, never would have thought that shot was possible. I showed the bell markers to my kids the other week as we drove along 101. I remember seeing those as a kid when my family did our California Mission tours when my sisters and I were in fourth grade.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/22/21 08:23

MojaveBill Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I believe the Women's Clubs of California were
> responsible for installing those signs.

I know there were some women that initiated the original idea way back in 1906, but at some point the California Highway Department got involved and eventually they "owned" it.  The original bells were castings (bronze?), but now they're made of concrete to make them less attractive to thieves.  There is a small company that has the old molds and will cast you a bell if you'd like one.  (not cheap)
SR

Date: 04/22/21 18:49
Author: bridge22-0196

hey, i'm on #11(21) and we just passed Refugio when i saw one of those bells out the window. wouldnt have known what it was if hadnt seen your photo earlier..thanks!

Posted from Android

Date: 04/22/21 19:13

Ha! I was at Refugio all afternoon. We’re visiting friends at El Capitan Ranch for dinner.
I saw you go by, about an hour late.
SR

Date: 04/22/21 19:17
Author: bridge22-0196

AND..just saw the one you photographed at Summerland..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/21 19:18 by bridge22-0196.

Date: 04/23/21 11:34
Author: Alco251

Well done!

Date: 04/27/21 05:34
Author: cchan006

I still remember the few times onboard the Capitol Corridor where we'd chat in the cafe car between Santa Clara and Sacramento or points in between. You sure are having a wonderful life after retirement with inspiring photos like this to prove it!

Date: 04/27/21 15:16

Well, thank you..   yes, I'm having no problem amusing myself.  It seems having endless free time is my life's calling-  who knew?!
I must confess I'm not sure I know who you are.  I'm not great with names, but I'm quite good at remembering conversations.
SR

Date: 04/28/21 14:34
Author: bnsfdevore

Pretty Sure, Huel Howser did a show about these.

Date: 04/28/21 15:07

He did, yes, I remember seeing it. I’ve been meaning to see if I can find it.
SR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0556 seconds