Home Open Account Help 212 users online

Passenger Trains > PRR towers in Philadelphia

Date: 04/18/02 04:59
PRR towers in Philadelphia
Author: OCtrainguy

Aside from "Shore", "North Philadelphia" and "Zoo", I was wondering it there are any other PRR towers left in Philadelphia. If there are any left, where are they located? I am in the process of getting photos of the towers.

Date: 04/18/02 05:40
Re: PRR towers in Philadelphia
Author: chuchubob

Arsenal Tower, across the tracks from the former Conventional Hall, is still there.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/28673609/28673959aDFxiHdTUs

Date: 04/18/02 13:54
Author: rresor

There are a bunch of towers still standing, even though all of those on the NEC have been remoted.

1) "Shore" is still standing, although in need of a coat of paint, east of the ROW at Frankford Jct.

2) "Holmes" at Holmesburg Jct. in NE Philly is still there.

3) I believe "Overbrook" is still physically present, although remoted, on the Harrisburg Line.

4) Paoli Tower is still manned, I think.

5) Further afield, "Cork" in Lancaster is manned.

6) "Park" at Parkesburg is closed, but the building still exists.

7) "Grundy" in Bucks County is still standing. So, I think, is "Morris" in Morrisville, as well as "Fair" in Trenton.

Date: 04/18/02 14:10
Author: cnj-834

Good list- Add Thorne Tower at Thorndale. At least it was there last Saturday when the PRR E-8s came through.

Date: 04/18/02 14:28
Author: chuchubob

Date: 04/18/02 18:53
Author: benrussellpa

Just a couple more...

Hook Tower in Marcus Hook, PA still stands, used as a maintenance shed.

Bryn Mawr Tower still stands on the E-W main.

Date: 04/19/02 04:36
Author: OCtrainguy

Thanks for all the information. It is good to see that there are still several towers still standing.

Date: 04/20/02 11:45
Author: Cdr.Dick

Add two more to the list of Penn Towers, BELL at the entrance to Edgemmor Yard, easily seen from 495 North. And don\'t forget LAMOKIN, adjacent to the old Baldt Anchor switch just North of Lamokin Station on the R3 Regional Rail Line/NEC.

Date: 04/20/02 17:58
Author: Cdr.Dick

Almost forgot the "manned" tower at the end of Amtrak\'s Harrisburg Line, State Tower.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0473 seconds