Home Open Account Help 365 users online

Passenger Trains > Good Judgement Does Not Always Prevail

Date: 06/16/21 15:01
Good Judgement Does Not Always Prevail
Author: twjurgens

Seeing Lance's post about the low light, rainy conditions reminded me of this ill advised incident from last Friday, June 11, 2021:

So, last Friday morning's #6, the eastbound California Zephyr, was late and was to have private car Cyrus K Holliday on the rear. The car is a rare visitor to this area and would be worth burning a few pixels on.

Just as I was leaving the house to get photos, a severe thunderstorm warning was issued. When I got outside, it didn't look too bad. It was dark to the north but the storm appeared to be moving around us. Wishful thinking on my part and good judgement doesn't always prevail!

Despite stern admonishment from Mrs. Jurgens, off I went.
The 84th Street crossing on Lincoln's northeast corner seemed a likely spot for pics so I parked there to wait.

The storm hit but all it consisted of was STRONG winds, lots of dust, and a few rain drops. The train was evidently held 30 - 40 minutes because of those winds. High profile cars don't do well in strong wind situations (turns out that geezers don't either). 

Finally, the signal on main 1 went green indicating that the train would pass soon. Suddenly, the crossing signals began flashing and I saw the train's headlights. The flashing signals at the crossing must've been for the rain too because it began to POUR. Photography in a wind driven monsoon can be mediocre at best and is a little hazardous.  The clouds were so dark and heavy that in order to set a shutter speed high enough to freeze the train, ISO had to be set at 5000 producing the grainy image in the first photo. In the wind and rain, I totally botched the going away shot of the car. I was having enough trouble just staying on my feet! Oh well, the car is kind of visible at the end of the train. 

The weather was a lot more railfan friendly yesterday morning. The next 2 shots are just east of Waverly, AMT 76 and 139 are eastbound with the Zephyr. They were moving noticeably slower than usual. I suspect that part of it was because they were on main 1. Normal direction of travel on that track is westbound. Another reason could well have been the hot weather and possibility of sunkinks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/21 15:03 by twjurgens.

Date: 06/16/21 20:19
Re: Good Judgement Does Not Always Prevail
Author: wzd

The first one's not bad at all, especially for a windy downpour and the last two are quite nice.

It's our duty as railfans to brave the storms, the wind and the snow to get our photos!!

Thanks for posting.

Bill D.

Date: 06/17/21 05:48
Re: Good Judgement Does Not Always Prevail
Author: twjurgens

Thanks!  Using the high ISO made the scene considerably brighter than it really was.

wzd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The first one's not bad at all, especially for a
> windy downpour and the last two are quite nice.
>
> It's our duty as railfans to brave the storms, the
> wind and the snow to get our photos!!
>
> Thanks for posting.
>
> Bill D.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.051 seconds