Home Open Account Help 262 users online

Passenger Trains > Boris Johnson takes Amtrak

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 09/21/21 16:18
Boris Johnson takes Amtrak
Author: RevRandy

Reports from BBC are that English PM Boris Johnson chose to ride Amtrak from NYP-WAS following the UN meeting today and his upcoming meeting with President Biden.

Note: he did not comment on the available food options.

Date: 09/21/21 16:20
Re: Boris Johnson takes Amtrak
Author: ProAmtrak

He rides a LD Train instead of a corridor train I'd be more interested in this!

Date: 09/21/21 16:22
Author: amtrakbill

If you ever ate English food you would understand why there was no comment on the food service

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/21/21 16:30
Author: joemvcnj

amtrakbill Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you ever ate English food you would understand
> why there was no comment on the food service

I have and I find it perfectly understandable. It is as awful as its damp weather. Clotted cream, globs of fat on the meat, yuck. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/21 16:46 by joemvcnj.

Date: 09/21/21 16:43
Author: goneon66

i think shepherd's pie is awesome food............

Date: 09/21/21 16:51
Author: Lackawanna484

Was the train on time?

Posted from Android

Date: 09/21/21 18:04
Author: Latebeans

Looks like there's not a lot of black pudding fans on TO. Perhaps some haggis would be more satisfying?

Posted from Android

Date: 09/21/21 18:07
Author: PHall

Latebeans Wrote:
> Looks like there's not a lot of black pudding fans
> on TO. Perhaps some haggis would be more
> satisfying?
>
> Posted from Android

Only if you're a scot!

Date: 09/21/21 20:32
Author: Lurch_in_ABQ

Airships and clouds aren't on the NEC Flex-O-Din menu? 

Date: 09/21/21 22:57
Author: 567Chant

Actually, when visiting the UK I developed a fancy for mushy peas.
...Lorenzo

Date: 09/22/21 03:27
Author: cabsignaldrop

Nothing beats some good fish and chips...

Posted from Android

Date: 09/22/21 03:55
Author: Train29

Agree about the fish and chips although quality can vary greatly by location. I wonder if Boris has ever ridden either of the two excellent overnight sleeper services in the U.K.? 

Date: 09/22/21 08:01
Author: Spongebob-Trainguy

My wife and I go out of our way to get haggis.

Date: 09/22/21 09:15
Author: pdt

Is it any wonder that this thread declined into a food fight.  LOL.  TO ppl...I'm shaking my head.
Todd..Start the "train food" topic. !!

Date: 09/22/21 10:12
Author: ctillnc

Food in the south of England, especially greater London, improved greatly after the EU took effect. The north, not so much. 

Date: 09/22/21 10:47
Author: eminence_grise

As Lord Major of London, Boris was responsible for the introduction of TfL (London Transport) "Routemaster 2" transit bus. He was an effective but controversial mayor.

Now he is a controversial Prime Minister in a polarized country. He has wild hair but when he talks, he has that "public school" accent typical of the ruling class.  He is a Tory (Conservative).

Date: 09/22/21 11:24
Author: ctillnc

Before Boris became PM, he and I were once in the same Tube carriage. No entourage, just another Londoner moving around the city. 

Date: 09/22/21 12:06
Author: Chicodepot

How was security handled?  Probably some bodyguards and Amtrak police.  And no announcement ahead of departure. No American Pres would ever travel on a train in a foreign country I suspect.

Date: 09/22/21 13:14
Author: BRAtkinson

Chicodepot Wrote:
> How was security handled?  Probably some bodyguards and Amtrak police.  And no announcement ahead of departure. No American Pres would ever travel on a train in a foreign country I suspect.

I just happened to be on the same train as he was yesterday..#2153.  I boarded in New Haven in the quiet car, car #2 (#1 is the first class car), and was puzzled why 3 NYPD officers + 1 dog came through the entire train after those getting off were off.  Usually, it's only a brief wait between those getting off and those getting on.  Then a handful of more police (Amtrak, this time) and dogs walked to the rear of the train on the platform, and were followed by all-the-same-suits cadre of secret service...probably some British secret service in with them as well.  About 2 minutes later, a mob of cops, secret service, then the PM, and more cops, etc walked past my window.  Press corps followed.  I didn't count, but I expect that there were more folks than seats in the first class car, plus, booting out those with FC reservations might have been difficult.  So, I assume he was in the last car of the train with no 'walk through' passengers/gawkers. 

Not surprisingly, we were on time at WAS following the smoothest ride on the NEC I've had in many years!  An announcement was made as we passed New Carrolton that the doors would not be opened until some 'dignitaries' had gotten off.  The entourage took their time getting off as it seemed like 10 minutes before Boris Johnson and gang passed my window going into the station.  After we stopped, I loudly announced in the car it was Boris Johnson, so everyone quickly moved to the left side of the train to get a glimpse.  After they were gone, it was still a minute or more to open the doors, followed by holding all of us on the platform alongside the lead power unit for another 2-3 minutes.  When they 'let us go', there must have been 15 or more Amtrak cops in the platform area chatting now that their task was completed.  I have to wonder if President Biden in is senator years and perhaps even as VP got the same treatment aboard Amtrak?

Somehow, I have to doubt that anyone made a trip to the lounge car for food or beverages.  I'd bet that Amtrak had a buffet of sorts put aboard the last car for the entourage at NYP.

Date: 09/22/21 16:34
Author: masterphots

Then there's the dessert (candy bar or something) called Spotted Dick.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0784 seconds