Home Open Account Help 353 users online

Passenger Trains > Chicago-Syracuse trip report

Date: 09/23/21 06:49
Chicago-Syracuse trip report
Author: co614

Had a very pleasant trip aboard # 48 ( 9/21) Chicago to Syracuse. It was my first ride in a Viewliner 11 roomete and I was very impressed with the improvements made vs. the old Viewliners and of course being brand new everthing worked as designed and I had no need for my obligatory Amtrak road repair kit. 

Improvements I liked: On/off button for PA announcements, thermostat for room temp. that actually worked, MUCH improved pull down sink, lots of new stowage space where the toilet used to be, MUCH improved blanket for the bed and the extra 2 inches of bed width made it comfotable for this 6'4" old man.

Also, the breakfast drill in the diner was much improved. The attendant actually welcomed me to the car, said sit wherever you like, brought me a flimsy paper " menu" and took my order for coffee,OJ,water, and a Jimmy Dean b'fast sandwich with salt&pepper and ketchup packages. Believe it or not he delivered the order to my table exactly as ordered !! By the time I was finished tthe car was nearly full as the 3 sleepers were well patronized. I left him a $ 5 tip. 

Also, I won the luck of the draw and had a good sleeping car attendant who made the journey pleasant.

Onward & upward.  Ross Rowland 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/21 13:13 by co614.

Date: 09/23/21 07:50
Re: Chicago-Syracuse trip report
Author: Hou74-76

I only hope in the weeks to come to be able to write as good of a trip report as you have written today.  Thanks!

Date: 09/23/21 08:16
Author: robj

Great report without delving into minute details.

Bob

Date: 09/23/21 09:11
Author: gaspeamtrak

Excellent...:):):)

Date: 09/23/21 11:44
Author: yorknl

On my Coast Starlight trip to and from California a few weeks ago my bedrooms had different blankets than the norm, presumably of the same type that Ross encountered on his trip.   I agree - they're a huge improvement!    Out of nostalgia I sort of miss the older, thin, scratchy version but the new model is nicely soft and reasonably heavy and warm.   To whomever at Amtrak signed off on making that relatively cheap investment, good job!

Date: 09/23/21 18:39
Author: BigSkyBlue

co614 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>    Also, the breakfast drill in the diner was
> much improved. The attendant actually welcomed me
> to the car, said sit wherever you like, brought me
> a flimsy paper " menu" and took my order for
> coffee,OJ,water, and a Jimmy Dean b'fast sandwich
> with salt&pepper and ketchup packages. Believe it
> or not he delivered the order to my table exactly
> as ordered !! By the time I was finished tthe car
> was nearly full as the 3 sleepers were well
> patronized. I left him a $ 5 tip. 
>

I'm glad to hear that you had a pleasant trip.  However, I am sorry to see that Amtrak has been successful in lowering the bar for long distance food service.  Obviously we have moved into the acceptance phase.

IMHO, the "Flexible" dining sugarbombs and cheese breakfast is the low point of Amtrak long distance sleeping car travel---at any time since 1971.   BSB 

Date: 09/23/21 19:22
Author: jp1822

co614 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>    Also, the breakfast drill in the diner was
> much improved. The attendant actually welcomed me
> to the car, said sit wherever you like, brought me
> a flimsy paper " menu" and took my order for
> coffee,OJ,water, and a Jimmy Dean b'fast sandwich
> with salt&pepper and ketchup packages. Believe it
> or not he delivered the order to my table exactly
> as ordered !! By the time I was finished tthe car
> was nearly full as the 3 sleepers were well
> patronized. I left him a $ 5 tip. 
>
>    Also, I won the luck of the draw and had a
> good sleeping car attendant who made the journey
> pleasant.
>
>    Onward & upward.  Ross Rowland 

At first when the "Sleeper Lounge" (aka Viewliner II Diner) was introduced, you had to go up and order at the doorway that leads into the Viewliner Diner Galley from the LSA. But then the LSA began to come around and take orders directly - the later I would tip for. The "walk up" service I did not. Been on the Lake Shore Limited a few times now with the Viewliner Sleeper Lounge and a great relief to have all meals with the LSA coming to take order and then bringing the food. Course the food is nothing to write home about, but at least the service helps make up for it! 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0641 seconds