Home Open Account Help 207 users online

Passenger Trains > NJ Transit breakdown statistics

Date: 11/27/21 07:30
NJ Transit breakdown statistics
Author: Lackawanna484

Finally available. Few surprises, older equipment breaks down more often.

The multilevel cars run almost a million miles between failures. The ALP46 versions lead the fleet in reliability. The ancient GP40P rebuilt units, the arrows, and the newer PL42AC don't do well.

Payroll likely

https://www.nj.com/traffic/2021/11/which-types-of-nj-transit-trains-are-the-most-likely-to-leave-you-stranded-read-the-score-card.html

Posted from Android

Date: 11/27/21 09:27
Re: NJ Transit breakdown statistics
Author: twropr

Great article!  I wish we could get comparative MDBF figures from Amtrak, LIRR, Metra, Metrolink, Caltrain, Metro-North and SEPTA.
Andy

Date: 11/27/21 10:08
Author: joemvcnj

twropr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great article!  I wish we could get comparative
> MDBF figures from Amtrak, LIRR, Metra, Metrolink,
> Caltrain, Metro-North and SEPTA.
> Andy

https://new.mta.info/transparency/metrics

Comparing  NJT and LIRR, and NJT is quite a disaster. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/21 10:09 by joemvcnj.

Date: 11/27/21 10:18
Author: jp1822

I am not sure how much maintenance effort has been put into the EMU Arrow III's. NJT has been trying to retire them one way or the other for nearly a decade now. Those Arrows can still haul @$$, even with the reduced speed they've been regulated to. Once commonplace on the NEC, these trains worked nicely on locals and express trains!

What I DO NOT get is the PL42 fleet......"built between 2004 and 2006, they will be retired and replaced by ALP 45 DP dual modes after NJ Transit officials determined in July 2020 it would cost more money to rebuild them than to replace them." They are going to be replaced by 26 ALP 45 DP dual mode locomotives. One account has these locomotives costing around $10M each. As dual modes they certainly have to be expensive units to purchase and maintain. The PL42's need general upgrades and overhauls, plus environmental updates, but can't imagine THAT cost would overcome the cost of a new NJT Dual Mode ALP 45 DP. The dual modes specifically increase the capability of "one-seat rides" to Manhattan - from the non-electrified NJT lines. But till Gateway is built, that's a limited operation.......NJT also doesn't get very efficient scheduling with its dual modes.......

I do think the the 113 multilevel electric multiple unit (EMU) coaches are a very good buy for NJT. The EMU's had very good propulsion and were especially good for those trains that had frequent station stops. Hopefully they will work out and be a good candidate for next generation on NEC NJT, M&E NJT, etc.  

Date: 11/27/21 11:41
Author: Lackawanna484

I understand that one problem with the PL42AC is their one of a kind status. Hard to get parts, keep current on training, etc.

Posted from Android

Date: 11/27/21 12:44
Author: Passfanatic

I believe that the original plan for retiring the PL42s was to retire about 2/3s of them. The PL42s have had many issues with reliability. However every time I have ridden behind them, they haven't broken down. Whenever I head home from work in Jersey City, I ride the Montclair-Boonton Line from NWK Broad and the train that I take often has a PL42 on it although the power usually varies. If the PL42s reliability isn't good and it's not worth upgrading them to Tier IV standards, then it's time to recommened them for retirement, at least the ones that constantly break down.

The Arrow IIIs are well past the end of their useful life. I basically grew up with them but they were around before I entered the world. I have enjoyed riding in them, mainly because of their swift acceleration. They keep breaking down on a regular basis. I can't wait until I hear about the Multilevel Power Cars entering revenue service. I know that the article said 2023 and it's almost 2022. I don't know yet if the Multilevel Power Cars have been constructed yet. I believe that the original order is 113 of them. They will be compatible with existing multilevel cars and hopefully when the power cars test fine, it shouldn't be too long after that the Arrow IIIs will be phased out of service.

Date: 11/28/21 04:34

This is about NJT crappy maintenance as MMC. Compare NJT to LIRR from last August/September. MDBF:

NJT  EMD 40 series and Alstom PL42: 13,646 and 13,646 miles
LIRR DE locos (21 years old): 19,718 miles

NJT Dual-powered ALP45DP: 19,746 miles
LIRR DE dual-mode 41,708 miles. 

NJT ALP44 0 miles - retired, paying bank lines due to early retirement. 
NJT ALP46 electric motor: 26,490 miles
NJT Arrow III MU: 10,185 miles
LIRR M7 MU: 731,755 (that is not a typo) miles.

Had NJT bought MU's instead of locomotives for the electric service over the last 40 years, rather than have lazy, dysfunctional MMC make these decisions, NJT would not be the North American disgrace that it is. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/21 10:11 by joemvcnj.

Date: 11/28/21 05:42
Author: thebluecomet

FWIW, I was told ages ago that NJT has avoided new MU purchases because the FRA considers each car to be a locomotive.  Since each axle is powered, they would be subject to more rigorous inspection criteria.

Date: 11/28/21 07:09

thebluecomet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> FWIW, I was told ages ago that NJT has avoided new
> MU purchases because the FRA considers each car to
> be a locomotive.  Since each axle is powered,
> they would be subject to more rigorous inspection
> criteria.

Well that's just a shame, but LIRR, MN, SEPTA, Metra-Electric, and NICTD have not found that to be an issue.
It comes down to a lazy MMC, and now they can't even maintain locomotives. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0682 seconds