Home Open Account Help 320 users online

Passenger Trains > Delays Effecting Empire Builders in Rocky Mountains - 11/28/2021

Date: 11/28/21 15:10
Delays Effecting Empire Builders in Rocky Mountains - 11/28/2021
Author: jp1822

Train 8 To Chicago (left Seattle 11/27/2021). Stopped east of East Glacier, nearly 7 hours late. In service disruption due to severe weather in the area. From weather center:

West winds 40 to 60 mph, with gusts up to 80 mph, are occurring. Wind gusts to around 100 mph are possible along the immediate Rocky Mountain Front.

Anyone have any additional information? Train #7 (that left Chicago 11/27/2021) appears to be cautiously approaching the Rockies - held for a bit in Havre, MT. This is the first year that I've seen the Empire Builders holding for bad weather / wind while trying to traverse the Rockies (Marias Pass).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/21 15:12 by jp1822.

Date: 11/28/21 18:42
Re: Delays Effecting Empire Builders in Rocky Mountains - 11/28/2
Author: MM171

2020 was a bad year for wind in Montana on the east slope of the Rockies.  It appears 2021 will be worse.  This next week has high winds up to 65 mph are in the forecast.  55 mph on the slower days.  Today's (Sunday) #8 probably will not be the last #8 Builder delayed due to high winds this week.  The problem is not going through the Rockies.  It is the winds coming off the east slopes of the Rockies at horrendous speeds through East Glacier, Browning, and onto Cut Bank.  Once east to there the trains run more with the winds or head on into the winds. But BNSF still takes note when high wind warnings are put up anywhere in the region. (I haven't seen any activity today on the Laurel Sub)

One consolation today saw winds predicted for 70 mph in the Great Falls area earlier today.  The winds gusting 60 mph this morning moderated to the 30 to 40 mph range instead of the 70 mph predicted.  Winds this Sunday evening are gusting to 47 mph.  But the mild winter we are experiencing leave us well aware that winds will be the result this time of year.  We need winter to set in.  Check ahead if you're coming to Montana to ski.

But seeing no snow in Donner T.O. pictures and not much snow between there and Montana leaves me a bit concerned.  Let's all hope the folks with cameras will be able to take some winter scene train pictures sooner than later.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/21 18:54 by MM171.

Date: 11/28/21 19:44
Author: wa4umr

I was on #7 about 8 or 9 years ago in February and our train had to slow to 50MPH due to winds about the time we got to N. Dakota.  We traveled at that speed for several hours.  We lost some time doing that but had made up most of it by the time we reached Seattle.  I didn't notice any effects from the wind but those high profile Superliners could be an easy target for a gust of wind.

John

Date: 11/28/21 21:21
Author: NPEDDIE

I was just going to ask about #8 as it has dropped off Amtrak Dixieland.

Ed Burns

Date: 11/29/21 17:47
Author: ProAmtrak

Better to be safe than sorry, can't wait to see Ronald321 post like he did with No. 4 and the Silver Star assuming all the poor passengers are suffering on something that Amtrak and BNSF Cannot control!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0494 seconds