Home Open Account Help 369 users online

Passenger Trains > The Final Day of the Series of the NYCMTA R32 Farewell Trips

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 01/09/22 17:00
The Final Day of the Series of the NYCMTA R32 Farewell Trips
Author: Passfanatic

Today(1/9/22) was the very last day that the Farewell to the NYCMTA R32 subway car trips ran. The route was very different and for a change, it ran outdoors on part of it. The route was from Brighton Beach Station in Brooklyn by way of the regular Q train route up to 96th Street on the 2nd Avenue Line Manhattan. A lot of the route that the R32 trains took today was their original trackage. Despite the weather in NYC not being so good, I made the best out of riding and photographing the R32 trains one last time before they head back to retirement. So many loyal railfans of all ages came out to take their farewell pictures and videos plus get their farewell rides in. I rode the R32 train from Sheepshead Bay up to 86th St in Manhattan and then used regular Q trains to get to my photo spots for the R32 train.

1. All of the railfans get their cameras ready for the R32's arrival at Brighton Beach Station.

2. After doing a test run up the Brighton Line for a couple of miles, the R32 train slows for the stop at Brighton Beach. The 3894 cab car still has the wreath on even though the holiday season is over.

3. This is a view of R32 Car # 3841 at Brighton Beach Station.

Date: 01/09/22 17:06
Re: The Final Day of the Series of the NYCMTA R32 Farewell Trips

1. NYCMTA R32 Car # 3361 is rocking the New York City Transit Authority TA logo on the circle as the train sits at Brighton Beach.

2. Car # 3360 has a very interesting banner on the nose-"Last of 600 New Brightliners for a Better Subway." Basically these cars have a new look to them even though they are 58 years old and have seen almost six decades of very reliable service.

3. The crowds look in awe at the R32 train a little under 15 min before it departs Brighton Beach.

Date: 01/09/22 17:10

1. A regular Q train arrives into Brighton Beach Station while the R32 consist lays over before heading north. The cars on the Q train on the left are very old and will be joining the R32s in the retirement club soon.

2. I decided instead of boarding the R32 at Brighton Beach, I would intercept the train at Sheepshead Bay Station, where it is seen arriving on its trip to 96th St-2nd Ave.

3. A crowded car in the train as we head through Brooklyn outdoors.

Date: 01/09/22 17:15

1. I was able to step off the first run of the day at Prospect Park Station for this shot of the train before heading into Manhattan.

2. Now on the 2nd Ave Stretch of the Q Line, we have the first R32 train of the day about to depart 86th Street Station.

3. Up at 96th St Station beneath 2nd Ave in Manhattan, it's going to be the car with the banner's turn to bring up the rear markets on the second trip of the day back to Brighton Beach.

Date: 01/09/22 17:26

1. The third trip of the day bypasses the Avenue J Station in Midwood, Brooklyn, enroute from Brighton Beach to 96th Street in Manhattan with the 3360 leading.

2. The 3894 trails as the train heads away from Avenue J Station.

3. The fourth Farewell to the R32 trip of the day approaches Kings Hwy Station bound for Brighton Beach Station.

Date: 01/09/22 17:31

1. I look in awe at the 3360 on the rear at Kings Hwy Station-gotta love those blue colors on the door plus the TA decal.

2. Blue doors and TA Logo certainly make me feel nostalgiac.

3. The train is at Lexington Ave / 63rd Street Station heading north. After this shot, I had to get back home to NJ.

Date: 01/09/22 19:20
Author: Sp1110

Why did the MTA scrap all of the R32s if they are better than the R160s?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/09/22 22:20
Author: joemvcnj

They are 57 years old, over 30 years since their rebuild, and their MDBF are quite poor compared to everything else.

Posted from Android

Date: 01/09/22 23:14

Why didn't they just rebuild them again?

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/22 23:38 by Sp1110.

Date: 01/10/22 02:49

You don't spend what is likely over one million per car on something that is 58 years old. Budd equipment doesn't last forever. 380 of the 600 were scrapped 10 years ago. 

Some say that about the ex-Santa Fe high levels. But nobody wants to spend the money to put them back, and there are safety and ADA issues that cannot be solved. 

https://www.amny.com/news/bye-bye-brightliners-mtas-oldest-subway-cars-bid-farewell-on-final-run-after-almost-58-years/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/22 03:22 by joemvcnj.

Date: 01/10/22 03:08
Author: mp51w

Well, those cars looked all shined up for their last run!  Thanks for the photo documentation!

Date: 01/10/22 07:05
Author: ntharalson

Interesting photos, thanks for posting.  I'm somewhat curious as to how regular riders would know this was a special train and not a regular run.  The signage gives no dication of that.

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 01/10/22 08:29
Author: webmaster

They look so vintage. From a rider perspective is there anything that these old trains do better than their modern replacements?

Todd Clark
Canyon Country, CA
Trainorders.com

Date: 01/10/22 08:31
Author: TomPlatten

Will they keep some for contingencies or just scrap them!

Date: 01/10/22 08:53

webmaster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They look so vintage. From a rider perspective is
> there anything that these old trains do better
> than their modern replacements?

They're about as mechanically simple as an electric lawnmower. The New Technology trains will not last 58 years or even 48 years. They'll declare their computer hardware or software obsolete and unsupported. 

1,300 newer St Louis cars, built between 1966 and 1972, were mostly done by 2010, though 50 R42's of 1969 lingered until about 2 years ago. They rusted out and/or leaked. 

Date: 01/10/22 12:55
Author: pdt

I imagine some will be kept for the museum?
A train of R32's, 38's, 40's and 42's would be nice...

Date: 01/10/22 17:32
Author: RuleG

joemvcnj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> webmaster Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > They look so vintage. From a rider perspective
> is
> > there anything that these old trains do better
> > than their modern replacements?
>
> They're about as mechanically simple as an
> electric lawnmower. 

Not sure what you mean by this.  My understanding is that an electrically powered anything is mechanically simpler than its internal-combustion counterpart because there are far fewer moving parts.

Date: 01/10/22 17:39

RuleG Wrote:

> Not sure what you mean by this.  My understanding
> is that an electrically powered anything is
> mechanically simpler than its internal-combustion
> counterpart because there are far fewer moving parts.

The new trains are rolling CPU's There is no comparison. This is like comparing a Dodge Dart to a current model. 

Date: 01/10/22 18:28

Anytime, thanks guys for the compliments. It was a great day yesterday. Unlike the first day of the excursions, there were no major behavioral issues. The trains were very crowded and thankfully I am fully vaccinated including boosters. Had I not gotten my booster yet, I would not have gone on the trip. I hope that some of these cars will be part of the museum collection. I would love to see them run on the Parade of Train excursions when they resume.

Date: 01/10/22 18:29

Why do they put CPUs in R160s and R179s if all they do is shorten the lifespan of the product?

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1195 seconds