Home Open Account Help 298 users online

Passenger Trains > Coast Starlight (12) has been cancelled

Date: 01/12/22 06:18
Coast Starlight (12) has been cancelled
Author: Macster

Per Amtrak alerts due to weather in the LA area? Other than the fact it is 35 in LA, there is no precipitation from LA to Portland currently. There is another large Pineapple Express inbound but otherwise it is 55 degrees in Seattle...

🤷🏾‍♂️

Posted from Android

Date: 01/12/22 07:19
Re: Coast Starlight (12) has been cancelled
Author: OTG

Still part of the "reset" from last week's meltdown.  This *SHOULD* hopefully be the last one (For Now hahahahaha)

Date: 01/12/22 07:35
Author: Train29

I'm booked on the Starnot in March. Will book a flight with miles on Delta as back up just in case. Sad that has to even be a consideration. 

Date: 01/12/22 08:06
Author: pdt

Yea, cancelled due tp weather in washington 2 days ago.   Im gonna guess its really due to no crew.  Omicron in LA has been pretty bad, and regular crews are out of position.   If things were anywhere close to normal, they would have put together a train of some sort, but with the mess these days, they are just throwing in the towel.  IMHO

If anyone has the hard facts, feel free to post.  Im just speculating, based in current state of things.

Date: 01/12/22 08:40
Author: Sp1110

Amtrak should let employees with Omicron work. People with Omicron can still work. It is not that big of a deal. What is the Pineapple Express?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/22 08:41 by Sp1110.

Date: 01/12/22 08:41
Author: dan

some airlines have 5% minimum of the work force sick, colorado 25%+++ of us have been sick since xmas

usually omicron starts with a fever for a couple days you don't want to be working for the first few days, then later on you can work, but you may need to take a week off.  Fatigue lasts for three

weeks often.  ymmv

everyone has a date with covid

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/22 09:57 by dan.

Date: 01/12/22 08:56
Author: DrawingroomA

Sp1110 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Amtrak should let employees with Omicron work.
> People with Omicron can still work. It is not that
> big of a deal. What is the Pineapple Express?

If only everything was as simple as some railfans think it is. I know three people who are presently ill with Omicron. There illness is considered mild, meaning that they are not in hospital. But they are very sick. I can't imagine any of them driving a train safely or serving a meal to passengers.

Date: 01/12/22 09:01
Author: jonathanstrains

I'm booked to ride the Coast Starlight 14 from Oxnard to Sacramento on February 7th

Date: 01/12/22 09:17
Author: scraphauler

Sp1110 Wrote:
>What is the Pineapple Express?

A weed delivery service. Also a Seth Rogan movie. But in this context, I would say it’s the atmospheric “river” of moisture that developes around Hawaii and dumps heavy rain and snow on the Pacific Northwest.

Or maybe the trifecta. Use Pineapple Express while holed up in you house due to the Pineapple Express while watching Pineapple Express.

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/22 09:20 by scraphauler.

Date: 01/12/22 09:19

Sp1110 Wrote:

Pineapple Express is commonly referred to us in the PNW as a storm system of warmer weather coupled with heavy rains. We are looking at temps around 60 degrees (from the 20s and 30s) with 5-10 inches of rain expected in some parts of Washington (mountains mainly). The Puget Sound region will be mostly spared this time around with it being mostly dry.

Date: 01/12/22 10:08
Author: OnTime

Sp1110 Wrote:

What part of omicron being a highly transmissible disease do you not understand? Are you actually ok with omicron infected employees infecting the passengers they serve?

It would be the height of moral irresponsibility for Amtrak to allow their sick employees to get passengers sick as well.

I'm not an attorney but it would also seem that passengers being infected by known sick Amtrak emloyees would open up Amtrak to all sorts of law suits and other legal liability.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/22 18:21 by OnTime.

Date: 01/12/22 10:30
Author: TerrapinStation

Macster Wrote:
Other than the fact it is 35 in LA, 
>
> 🤷🏾‍♂️
>
> Posted from Android

Not true, nor even a fact.  In my area (SE Los Angeles County, therefore east Long Beach) the lowest low has been 38 which occured on Sunday morning, ie 3 days ago.  Van Nuys, a suburb locale of the City of Los Angeles in the San Fernando Valley, lowest low was 42 on Sunday morning.  Please, if you're going to make a statement such as this, at least check some local statistics.  My data came from National Weather Service while I checked back 6 days.

Van Nuys history. Van Nuys Airport
​Los Alamitos history Los Alamitos Army Airfield

Date: 01/12/22 11:32

TerrapinStation Wrote:
> Macster Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> Other than the fact it is 35 in LA, 
> >
> > 🤷🏾‍♂️
> >
> > Posted from Android
>
> Not true, nor even a fact.  In my area (SE Los
> Angeles County, therefore east Long Beach) the
> lowest low has been 38 which occured on Sunday
> morning, ie 3 days ago.  Van Nuys, a suburb
> locale of the City of Los Angeles in the San
> Fernando Valley, lowest low was 42 on Sunday
> morning.  Please, if you're going to make a
> statement such as this, at least check some local
> statistics.  My data came from National Weather
> Service while I checked back 6 days.
>
> Van Nuys history. Van Nuys Airport
> ​Los Alamitos history Los Alamitos Army Airfield

Date: 01/12/22 12:17
Author: robj

DrawingroomA Wrote:
> Sp1110 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Amtrak should let employees with Omicron work.
> > People with Omicron can still work. It is not
> that
> > big of a deal. What is the Pineapple Express?
>
> If only everything was as simple as some railfans
> think it is. I know three people who are presently
> ill with Omicron. There illness is considered
> mild, meaning that they are not in hospital. But
> they are very sick. I can't imagine any of them
> driving a train safely or serving a meal to
> passengers.

Half of people I know with covid positive test lately are asymptomatic.
Not sure of protocols Airlines use but guess if  crew works cockpit together and one tests positive the other will be off until negative test or several.
Of course you do not want a sick flight crew or a sick engine crew, at least I wouldn't.

As far as cancelled flights, yes but you will be rebooked, maybe sameday probably by next.  Now Amtrak you are running into several days in a row without service, really different  situation.

Bob

Date: 01/12/22 12:57
Author: TerrapinStation

Mr. Macster, just a simple search found the weather underground staton you show.  It is completely wrong at the top of the page.  NWS station KCQT located at University of Southern California aka USC contradicts what I find on WU.  My home is 19 miles from DTLA, where, according to National Weather Service, 12 hour low temperature was 47 between 4 am and 5 am.  I would guess that you are nowhere near Southern California,  Scroll down on your WU page for Jan 12 and change graph to table.  WU shows low of 40.9 degrees F.  Nowhere does it show a low of 35 in the WU table.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/22 13:18 by TerrapinStation.

Date: 01/12/22 22:11
Author: JimBaker

The Weather Underground station is shown as PACIFICA SEASIDE CLIFFS which is a town down the coast from San Francisco.

James R.(Jim) Baker
Whittier, CA

Date: 01/13/22 02:08
Author: jp1822

This is not going to be the only LD Amtrak cancellation. I hate to even say this, but knowing that COVID and its variants are going to be around for a few years, why has Amtrak not been bulking up on its staff and hiring people to properly fill out its extra boards. Most businesses are developing a Plan B or Plan C as problems persist. Not sure what Amtrak is waiting for, let alone doing, and not sure where Amtrak has its job posts. The whole system is going to be setup for some really bad negative PR in the coming weeks if they can't figure out how to operate their trains. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0914 seconds