Home Open Account Help 343 users online

Passenger Trains > Class 1 to Amtrak.. worth the switch?

Date: 01/12/22 12:31
Class 1 to Amtrak.. worth the switch?
Author: Pinlifter

With all the turmoil at the big pumpkin, it has me looking at alternatives.  I'm half way through a RR career.  I do have a card.  Is the jump worth it for 16 more years?  How is the pay structured?  Hourly or trip rate?  Are there better terminals to work out of?  Better to work a bigger station with more routes?  I'm assuming there are extra boards.  Are they guaranteed?  Are the longer routes more preferred?  I understand politics can play a lot for Amtrak's future.  Is Amtrak also in the national contract handling?  How does seniority work?  Do you have system wide or any protections?  If you'd like to PM that would be great too.  I'm just looking for the good, bad, and ugly.  Thanks.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/22 12:33 by Pinlifter.

Date: 01/12/22 14:52
Re: Class 1 to Amtrak.. worth the switch?
Author: cabsignaldrop

You will not make quite as much at Amtrak...however after you get a regular job the quality of life is far superior to freight. Lower level management generally is much better, not out to get you unless you put a target on your back.

Lots of ex NS guys in the area who say Amtrak is like the Shangri-La compared to NS...
Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/22 14:53 by cabsignaldrop.

Date: 01/12/22 16:04
Author: 2904

100% hourly rate is $49.05 an hour. Extra board guarantee right around 100k a year. Regular jobs pay that or more. Depending on the crew base it might take years to hold a regular. It’s better than freight, but depending on where you are at they are strict on certain train handling practices… all depends on the region and crew base though.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/13/22 02:34

cabsignaldrop Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You will not make quite as much at
> Amtrak...however after you get a regular job the
> quality of life is far superior to freight. Lower
> level management generally is much better, not out
> to get you unless you put a target on your back.
>
> Lots of ex NS guys in the area who say Amtrak is
> like the Shangri-La compared to NS...

For sure.  Hunter killed the already tough life of a railroader.  Just having a schedule is a big upgrade.  

Date: 01/13/22 09:05
Author: co614

The feedback I get regularly from friends working on Class 1's is do you best to find another trade or go with either Amtrak or a shortline with a Class 1 being the last choice.

Sad but true. Ross Rowland 

Date: 01/13/22 16:58
Author: irhoghead

If you haven't spent yourself into the poor house, consider a shortline. The pay is less, but the working conditions on many, but definitely not all, are a world removed from the Class One BS. Your family will thank you.

Date: 01/13/22 19:07

It’s definitely worth a shot to look at short lines. I’ve been good with money and haven’t spent it all on toys or living the high life.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.4255 seconds